Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Medication for daytime bladder problems?

(6 Posts)
Fourarmsv2 Sun 20-Dec-15 12:59:40

Anyone tried this?

DS2 goes to the loo approx hourly, can't get through a film at the cinema, gets little warning of needing the toilet etc.

He takes desmopressin at night.

He's been prescribed Oxybutynin for the daytime now. He's not keen to try it as he is a bit medicine phobic and this comes as a tablet rather than a melt.

Any experiences?

2pandasandapig Sun 20-Dec-15 13:03:33

My daughter takes it for sudden urgency and lots of accidents during the day. I can honestly say it changed our lives, no more whispers from other kids about how she smells, no more wet clothes to wash and she's so much happier than she was. She was/is a bit unhappy about the tablet aspect and says they taste a bit funny but she (generally) takes them happily because she knows what will happen if she doesn't. We haven't noticed any side effects to the tablets and she has been on them nearly a year now with a few short breaks to see if she still needed them. I wish we'd tried it much sooner.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 20-Dec-15 13:12:24

Dd was on oxybutinin, it was like flicking a switch, it was amazing. You can get is as a suspension though too if he prefers, you'd just need to ask the GP to give you a new prescription. Dd didn't think it tasted very nice though and just learned how to take the tablet which is a useful skill really!

She is off it now, still tends to dribble a little bit but not as much as before, has been brilliant for us. She turns 7 on Wed and is still not dry at night though <<sigh>>

Fourarmsv2 Sun 20-Dec-15 13:17:03

Thanks for that smile

He's been prescribed 5mg to start with.

A suspension wouldn't go down any better I don't think but might be worth thinking about it if no joy with tablets. Does that still last a whole day?

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 20-Dec-15 15:04:19

It would be the same dose yes.

Cressandra Fri 25-Dec-15 00:18:36

DD started the tablets twice a day at age 5. She seemed little to be taking them but we trained her up quickly on hundreds and thousands, then silver cake decorating balls and she has been ok on them.

I have taken DD's tablet by accident and it was not nice, it was quite bitter. Tablets do limit the taste vs medicine though. The drug itself made a huge difference. She also tried the slow release version but that was less effective. When taking it they need to drink plenty, and DD has movicol too as the oxybutynin can cause constipation, which in turn can exacerbate bladder symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now