Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ear wax

(7 Posts)
LovelyBath Sat 19-Dec-15 11:03:29

Both my children have problems with ear wax. We've tried the olive oil drops, and the nurse and GP have had a look and the ears are blocked. However they won't syringe the ears as they're too young. Any ideas what to do?

Buntingsmum Sat 19-Dec-15 16:30:33

Have you tried sodium bicarbonate ear drops? My DD had them prescribed by ENT doctor when she wouldn't tolerate the manual removal with the suction removal machine (don't know what it's called!). We did them for 10 days, twice a day. They made her ears a bit achey by the end of the course, but they worked! This was after trying olive oil for 6 months by the way. We use them fairly regularly now - just pick them up off the shelf in Boots.

LovelyBath Sat 19-Dec-15 17:26:15

OK maybe I'll try them. they won't do the syringing here, is that suction thing different I wonder?

Buntingsmum Mon 21-Dec-15 16:24:17

Yes it is. My DD can't have syringing (squirting watery stuff in to wash canal) for medical reasons, but the suction thing is basically a machine with a tiny hoover attachment to suck wax out. It's a machine that lives in ENT departments. Sorry that's not very technical! By the way, the bicarbonate drops are very popular in the NCDS group I'm in. Lots of children with hearing aids get wax build up problems and it seems that people find the drops generally more effective than the olive oil.

CurlsLDN Mon 21-Dec-15 16:29:24

Yes, the sucky version is called microsuction. I had it as have previously had a perforated ear drum so can't have them syringed (water squirmed in)

However, the gp doesn't do microsuction, as pp said you have to be referred to ENT. In my case the referral took over a year to come through! I paid to have it done privately at this place, and it was such a wonderful relief!

clearearclinic.com/

It's not a painful procedure, however it does take a few minutes, is a bit loud and you have to lie still. I'm not sure if they can do it on little ones

LovelyBath Mon 21-Dec-15 17:09:26

Ok thanks, it might be something to ask the GP about if it doesn't clear up. In the meantime we'll try the other drops

Trickytricky Mon 21-Dec-15 17:13:57

I've also been to the Clear Ear Clinic and would recommend it. They're really helpful so just give them a call and see whether they can perform the procedure on children. It's expensive but the relief is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now