Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Disposable gloves to help eczema on hands...

(8 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Sat 19-Dec-15 08:09:49

My DS has on / off eczema which flares on his hands at nursery - I suspect messy play with foam etc is the culprit but I have also noticed it with PCs glue at home and also when helping with cooking that involves raw tomatoes. So he obviously has some allergies.

Don't want to limit what he can do so I've been trying to find some tiny plastic disposable gloves on-line but first searches reveal ones for bigger kids - he's a small 3yo.

Anyone found some that might work?

FusionChefGeoff Sat 19-Dec-15 20:14:33

Bump - any thoughts at all please??

Idefix Sat 19-Dec-15 20:24:54

I think the issue you might have with these is that if ds has active eczema on his hands wearing plasticky gloves may provide the perfect breeding ground for infected eczema.

If you suspect that contact to certain factors trigger the eczema you need to avoid these. Speak to your ds nursery about this and also make sure they are washing and drying ds hands appropriately and using prescribed emollient as advised by gp.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 19-Dec-15 22:19:44

Thank you for replying. Good point about making it worse if it's active but actually most of the time it's very controlled and no more than dry skin. Apart from after these trigger moments when it suddenly gets very red and takes a couple of weeks of top notch skin care with the big guns emollient gunk to get it back down. Hence why I thought gloves would prevent it moving up from the dry skin stage I suppose.

I will speak to nursery but don't want him to be the only one who can't do the messy play so am trying to see what else we could do...

Wolfiefan Sat 19-Dec-15 22:22:30

Gloves spark my eczema off. I have used something called gloves in a bottle. It is a barrier lotion that is designed to protect hands. Not sure how suitable for a young child with eczema.
Use aqueous cream to wash hands after contact with possible irritants?

FusionChefGeoff Sat 19-Dec-15 22:36:27

Thanks wolfie I think we'll have to get a bit more on top of nursery about washing / avoiding stuff. We've been pretty lazy laid back so far hoping he would grow out of it but this latest flare was quite bad and is really bothering him - plus he HATES putting cream on as he's a thumb sucker!! Father Christmas is proving suitable motivation at the moment (add that to the list of things I said I would NEVER do when I had I kids..!) but need to have a plan for after the 25th!!!

fiverabbits Sat 19-Dec-15 22:47:04

My husband has eczema on his hands and after he puts cream on them he puts white cotton gloves on which are boilable. If you go on google and type in childrens cotton gloves loads of different ones come up, are they the answer ?

doesthatmakesense Sat 19-Dec-15 22:50:32

We use old, washed cotton socks with a slit snipped into the heel as a thumb hole. Slather on epaderm, put gloves on and hope get stay there. We use a clean pair each night we need them. Hope you find a solution soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now