Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oxygen levels and heart rate ?

(8 Posts)
Lovemykiddies1 Sat 19-Dec-15 05:13:58

Hi im looking for some help my 1 year old daughter had rsv/bronchitis she was in hospital for a week due to her illness and was on oxygen she was sent home with her oxygen level sat at 92 93 i didnt pay much attension to her heart rate the oxygen levels worried me , because i thought they were still low i bought a monitor for when she returned home her oxygen did drop but she managed to keep it up it would go up and down between 91 and 95 2 weeks later her her wheezing has returned her oxygen levels have started dropping to 89 it has been going from between 89 and 92 this is only when she is sleeping i should add everything seems fine when shes awake right now while she sleeps her O2 levels are 91 and heart rate is 125-135 can anyone please suggest if this is something i should have checked out please becase they were not so worried about her O2 levels sat at 92 , while she was in hospital they always raised her cot for gravity or something to try help brong them up i dont have one of the cots but i have put pillows under to give it a little more hight and raise were her head is thank you if you reading my question i hope to hear your answers soon x

JoandMax Sat 19-Dec-15 05:22:31

Yes I would definitely get that checked out ASAP

DS2 had chest problems and was always admitted below 93/94

jimijack Sat 19-Dec-15 05:50:21

A number of things are considered along side oxygen saturation readings.

How is her breathing? Is she breathless/wheezing/noisy breathing/grunting with every breath?

How is she in herself? Is she playing, interacting with you & other family members?

Is she eating & drinking ok?

Can you wake her up easily?

Does she have an inhaler & a spacer? Have you used it?

If the only symptom is the saturation reading, and she is perfectly well in herself, then she is probably just recovering from her viral infection, which will take time.

Lovemykiddies1 Sat 19-Dec-15 21:30:31

She was took into hospital 4 weeks ago because she could barely breathe they tested her gor rsv it was possitive she was kept in for a week they gave her an ebulizer to open her lungs which helped a little , her wheezing had gone after a week in the hospital the wheezing has now returned and she is breathing heavily she isnt in inhalers or anything else she is interacting with others but even when she could barely get a breath a few week ago she was still her happy self her eating and deinking has returned to normal as she wasnt touching a thing to eat and was barely drinking , even if it is only satuaration readings is that not worrying and would she not need oxygen sat at 89?

Lovemykiddies1 Sat 19-Dec-15 21:32:32

Thank you for replying i think i will give nhs a phone and see what they say x

mydutifullaunderette Sat 19-Dec-15 21:40:02

If her wheeze has come back and her breathing is sounding "heavy" I would get her checked over now, to be honest. Children can appear lively even when significantly unwell, and then suddenly droop.

(I wouldn't put pillows in the cot, but a simple way to slightly prop it up is to place a thick book or similar under both legs of the cot at the head end. You can buy foam wedges to put underneath the mattress instead, if you end up needing it longer term).

acupofteafortwoormore Sun 20-Dec-15 18:15:25

Did you end up going in? We have a sats machine at home & the consultant told us at 93/92 to head in.

Is the machine small enough for her to get a true reading?

As well as the numbers look at her chest/tummy? Is she drawing in? Breathing fast?

Can you hear a wheeze or is she struggling to breath?

The numbers are important but so is the whole picture.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sun 20-Dec-15 18:25:49

My DS has rsv and double pneumonia at 5 months old. On admission his oxygen was 79 and hr was 200. He was in for a while. His last couple of days they said they wanted his sats over 93 without oxygen. Fine in the day. At night it just kept dipping to 90 ish. He was discharged anyway based on how well he was. However, you are describing a deteriorating situation so would def get things checked tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now