Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Infected thumb? Ongoing saga. Please help. Pic included

(14 Posts)
Sorethumb1 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:39:34

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong with dd's thumb? It has beeb bothering her for weeks and 2 pharmacists and a doctor have looked at it and told me to try Sudocreme, Epaderm and a medicated powder but it is worse than ever.

I'll try to get a doctor's appointment tomorrow but in the meantime I thought someone here might have an idea.

Thanks

Themodernuriahheep Thu 17-Dec-15 22:45:50

It looks a bit like a type of blood blister. Could it be ? In which case, Google nhs.

Moonandstarsandback Thu 17-Dec-15 22:47:13

Is it a wart?

Sorethumb1 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:51:04

Thanks for the replies. Don't think it is a blood blister as it started out as a red itchy thumb which then dried out and cracked and now this lovely new development.

I thought wart too but pharmacist was adamant it isn't.

Themodernuriahheep Thu 17-Dec-15 23:34:11

My sister has a type if excema on her hands that sometimes looks like that.

Sorethumb1 Fri 18-Dec-15 00:06:56

Is it pomphylox themodern? I looked at different types of eczema and it does look like that, although a lot milder than the examples I saw.

I'll ask the doctor about that for sure.

Themodernuriahheep Fri 18-Dec-15 00:20:01

Might be, don't know. But I get it mildly. Starts off as a huge itch, becomes red then a sore and if I don't put antiseptic on it and keep my hand away from washing up, weeps and extends.

ouryve Fri 18-Dec-15 00:22:06

I bet her pen rubs there. Is it metal?

Themodernuriahheep Fri 18-Dec-15 00:23:41

And I never use bath oils, bubble bath, and only two sorts of soap and shampoo.

magicpuppy Fri 18-Dec-15 08:41:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sorethumb1 Fri 18-Dec-15 10:06:55

It definitely sounds like yours themodern. It started off as a red, itchy thumb. Then got sore, cracked and weepy. We got some powder from the pharmacist that healed the cracks and dried the weepiness but now we have this new development.

I 'm cleaning it with sterile wipes and using an antiseptic and it looks a little better this morning.

It's her right thumb and she us a leftie so not related to writing ouryve but thanks as all suggestions welcome.

My other dd's has eczema so we only used eczema friendly products.

dratsea Sat 19-Dec-15 10:26:32

I guess she a teen? Trauma, like a splinter? If younger could be weird virus, self limiting and glad it getting better so perhaps just that. (still think that looks likes thumb of teen... say born 12/08/2000)

Themodernuriahheep Sat 19-Dec-15 10:55:29

Well, I haven't got a clue what it is, but I am trying to be careful around washing up etc.

Sorethumb1 Sat 19-Dec-15 16:28:04

She is 7! I'll tell her she has very grown up thumbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now