Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

antibiotics and MAJOR behavioural changes??

(7 Posts)
safclass Tue 15-Dec-15 00:36:05

I am a foster mum to a 7yr old boy (who obviously has other problems) who although a strong character is generally calm and very loving. He started antibiotics (amoxycillin) on Monday teatime. On Thursday teatime he had MAJOR temper tantrum at local shopping centre - screaming , biting, kicking, running away running back to hit/kick me our his sibling. HAd to call my husband to come and take him home in his car and I came home with the other. Just had another 'episode' tonight where he was asking my husband to fight him and he 'would win'!. He has eventually worn himself out, sobbed and gone to sleep immediately!
Has anyone else found this? I really struggled to cope - at one point sitting on the floor in Paperchase hugging him to stop him!!

Pobspits Tue 15-Dec-15 00:40:25

Dd on amaoxycillin just now. never noticed it with either of my kids tbh. It is VERY yellow though...

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 15-Dec-15 16:11:01

Like Pob I was going to suggest the colouring in it. Worth talking to your GP so that this can be noted on his medical record and hopefully you get colourless next time.

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 15-Dec-15 16:16:32

Does he have a streptococcal infection? Your description made me think of PANDAS. www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/pandas/index.shtml

Used2bthin Sun 20-Dec-15 20:44:58

My dd who has autism (and other condition) had a reaction similar to this on trimethoprim twice. She didn't sleep , literally just didn't one night and seemed to have hallucinations and acted very disturbed shutting herself in a cupboard as if scared of us etc. I told the Dr who made a note of it but said its not something he's hrard of before .

Used2bthin Sun 20-Dec-15 20:46:22

Meant to say we don't use that one anymore but she's fine on other anti biotics . She's also on steroids though so I wondered if it could be some sort of drug interaction.

dratsea Mon 21-Dec-15 04:16:36

Probably not the amoxicillin but very good suggestion re colourings, there are many preparations available, try another preparation? I guess either result of illness needing ab or perhaps ill but not something cured by ab?

flowers for fostering, can be tough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now