Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Looking for enuresis consultant in London

(4 Posts)
stoopstofolly Mon 14-Dec-15 13:54:33

Can anyone recommend a good childhood enuresis consultant in London? DS (5) is still not dry in the day. He doesn't seem to realise when he needs the loo until the last minute, and then runs for the toilet and often has a small accident on the way. Sometimes when he's concentrating on something he doesn't realise at all. It's never a full bladders worth-just enough to make a damp patch on the front of his trousers which he's finding embarrassing now he's at school.
I was seeing a urologist my GP recommend, but after he'd tested to see if everything was working right (and it appears to be) he's discharged us saying that the problem is that DS doesn't care enough yet to go to the loo. This is absolutely NOT the case- he's mortified by the wetting and tries really hard- he just doesn't seem to be getting the right signals. We tried one lot of medication but it didn't have much impact and the side effects weren't worth it.
We're happy to keep going privately if anyone can recommend someone good.....

stoopstofolly Mon 14-Dec-15 22:05:57

Anyone....?smile

Thesunrising Thu 17-Dec-15 20:18:30

Have you tried ringing the Eric helpline for advice? Their helpline is open Mon-Thursday From 10am - 2pm. The advisers are well versed in a range of things you can try yourself and also about all the NICE standards and guidelines about appropriate treatments.

Their website is www.eric.org.uk and has loads of helpful of information too.

www.eric.org.uk/assets/downloads/149/ERICs%20Guide%20to%20Childhood%20Daytime%20Wetting%20%20web%20version.pdf

The link above is their leaflet about daytime wetting. Good luck!

Cressandra Fri 18-Dec-15 17:47:49

Have you tried the nhs route of school nurse and enuresis clinic? Our clinic has always taken it absolutely for granted that my child doesn't choose to wet herself. It is so nice to have that space where they are so supportive and there is no blame. She was on medication to help from the first visit age 5, I think partly because we demonstrated we'd tried all the usual behavioural advice already (via Eric and the school nurse). She is trialling a new medication at the moment, and if that doesn't do the job there is another one lined up to try.

I'm not sure what tests he has had, but we were told that the bladder ultrasound nearly always comes back normal. It just means the problem is physiological not anatomical, which is nearly always this case in children who struggle to stay dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now