Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mould and chest/breathing issues

(2 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sun 13-Dec-15 20:07:39

I'm sad to say that my son lives in an extremely mouldy flat from birth to about 2.5 years. W didn't know the extent of the mould until we ripped the carpet up and days later had fluffy mould growing at least a foot tall from the skirting after having disturbed it. We had black mould all over the bathroom, all over walls in other rooms that I bleached weekly but came back after a week. It was really bad, I was very ill and I had constant ear infections. DH who never got ill previously had colds all the time and ds1 had near constant episodes of 'viral induced wheeze' he would be in hospital for 3/4 days at a time and get worse again when he came home.

I didn't put any of this down to the mould because I asked lots of doctors about it at the time and they all said it was unlikely. But I never really explained the extent if the mould which was really bad.

He's stopped having wheezing very quickly since moving out so I'm almost certain is down to the mould. However, his chest is still weak and he has just had an infection. I'm worried the mould has caused a serious problem for him but keep getting dismissed by doctors as it being unlikely but no explanation why. Does anyone know anything about this and whether it's a possibility?

EnviroventOxfordshire Mon 14-Dec-15 20:44:51

There is a correlation between high humidity (which causes condensation and mould) and an increase in dust mite population. Dust mite detritus can trigger asthma attacks. So if a property is suffering from condensation and mould, and a person is suffering with asthma, then the problem is only going to get worse. Good extraction and Positive Input Ventilation (which gently introduces fresh, filtered air into properties) can massively reduce humidity and prevent the re-occurrence of condensation and mould for good and improve the indoor air quality you breathe. I hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now