Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS2 was sick in his sleep last night and I didn't wake up

(16 Posts)
KillashandraRee Fri 11-Dec-15 09:13:52

He's 19 months and is absolutely fine, but I'm so worried he could have choked. Is it common to find children have been sick and carried on sleeping? Can someone come and reassure me I'm not a terrible mother nothing like this has happened with DS1 confused

Chewbecca Fri 11-Dec-15 09:16:48

Happened to my DS once, I felt terribly guilty in the morning but there were no ill effects. I think it is one of those things (like babies rolling off the sofa) that happens to many of us, we get the guilts, then move swiftly on.

Seeyounearertime Fri 11-Dec-15 09:19:11

You're not a terrible mother.
It's quite a common thing, our DD did it a few times, she wouldn't even wake up not times.
I you think it might set your mind at ease you can buy 'wedges' to help. Hang on I'll find a link.

www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-Baby-Wedge-Pillow-Prevention/dp/B00WJK75A2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449825397&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+reflux+cot+wedge

There's the sort of thing.
smile

HippyChickMama Fri 11-Dec-15 09:19:31

It's happened to me with ds never with DD because she is a drama queen. At 19 months the gag reflex, including the urge to sit up, should be developed. So unless dc is drowsy through medication or has mobility problems they'll automatically sit up, turn on side etc. Don't beat yourself up about it, he's fine.

KillashandraRee Fri 11-Dec-15 11:06:09

Thank you all. Will look at the wedge thing. He's fine so I think I was so surprised. If he was ill/ had been sick during the day I would have had him in with me.
Reassuring to know I'm not the only one!

Scarydinosaurs Fri 11-Dec-15 11:07:36

My dd did this the other night, she's not even a year yet. It was horrid, I felt so bad. I didn't even know she was coming down with anything.

monkeyfacegrace Fri 11-Dec-15 11:09:59

Mine always used to do this. Proper chunder and I wouldn't find it until the morning. When it had dried into their hair and cot bars <boak>

There isn't actually much you can do about it.

dratsea Fri 11-Dec-15 11:59:32

Silent regurgitation, very, very unlikely to inhale and if he did, first gurgle and you would have been up in a flash. What more could you do? Co-sleep? fshock

YeOldeTrout Fri 11-Dec-15 12:40:19

I think all of mine did this at least once. Yuck.

cathpip Fri 11-Dec-15 12:51:03

Dc3 has done this twice, dried sick in hair and on bed clothes is not easy to get out! None of the others have thrown up in their sleep and then slept in their sick.....

twojumpingbeans Fri 11-Dec-15 12:52:55

Worst one I ever did was when DD1 and I both sport through a huge nose bleed! She was about six I think. Cue MAJOR PANIC when I switched the light on to get up. It happens - everyone's fine, I really wouldn't worry yourself about it..

BertieBotts Fri 11-Dec-15 12:55:49

Ha yes we've had the nosebleed thing. Thankfully DS had already had several nosebleeds by the time it happened, so it wasn't SO traumatic.

trilbydoll Fri 11-Dec-15 13:07:41

DD did this, and then later woke up unrelatedly. Cue dh going into a dark room and getting a handful of vomit. I was woken up by him screaming my name as he dragged dd into the shower. He was very put out it took me so long to wake up!

YeOldeTrout Fri 11-Dec-15 19:33:57

Middle DS chucked all over the bed. While soundly asleep. Never has a room smelled so bad. I was exhausted for some other reason and sorely tempted to leave it, but DH found the energy to organise the clean up. <Shudder>

KillashandraRee Fri 11-Dec-15 21:05:51

You have all made me feel so much better (and have made me laugh...sorry trilbydoll)
Am going to try to sleep without panicking tonight.
And god yes the smell is horrific... shock

ScrambledSmegs Fri 11-Dec-15 21:11:00

Oh thank god, thought it was just me blush

DD2 has done both the vomit and the nosebleed in her sleep. DD1 never did so I was unprepared, she just threw up on every car journey we ever took <boak>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now