Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Functional abdominal pain hell

(5 Posts)
Pippidoeswhatshewants Thu 10-Dec-15 13:01:24

Dd is 11 and has suffered with only minimal relief for a year now. I am at the end of my tether. Please tell me how you manage the pain!

Stasie Thu 10-Dec-15 13:31:51

Hiya, I'm sorry not to be much help, but having just googled this I think I have a sufferer too. He is 8.

Mine seems to be very oversensitive to his body and is constantly telling me that different parts of him hurt or feel strange. This week it has been his stomach.

He's being assessed for ASD. He's very anxious anyway and I think this manifests in physical issues that he knows will get attention (though I try not to dismiss his anxiety either)

He was sent home from school the other day because of it. He is happy at home, and I'd HE him except that he likes his friends and wants to be at school, as well. He just finds it very wearing.

Sorry to go on - but I wondered, are there any similarities with your dd? Does she feel anxious about school, or something - can you pinpoint a psychological element to it at all?

Pippidoeswhatshewants Thu 10-Dec-15 17:20:07

Dd is quite sensitive but loves going to school. We have tried to pinpoint psychological issues or food triggers and can't find anything.
General stress and being run down makes symptoms much worse.

At the moment we are trying to find a medication that works, but haven't found anything yet. Our next GP appointment is next week and we'll review the situation. Again. I am so fed up with this sad

Stasie Thu 10-Dec-15 17:27:56

Sorry you're going through it. It sounds such a nightmare sad

I hope the GP can offer something more effective for her.

Badders123 Thu 25-Feb-16 10:55:32

Op...I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread but...any joy?
My ds2 (7) has been ill now for a year with constant severe stomach pain at night (usually)
At first he used to vomit too about every 3 weeks but since starting meds for abdominal migraine the pain is there almost every day (but no vomiting)
I'm at the end of my tether tbh.
He is seeing a dietician next month as he does seem to have reflux (is on ranitidine) and the dr seems to think a re referral to hospital is on the cards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now