Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand Foot and Mouth

(9 Posts)
purplepingu Wed 09-Dec-15 12:41:52

Before I attempt to get a doctors appointment for my 9 month old, does anyone know if it's possible to have hand, foot and mouth symptoms but only around the mouth?

I was assuming that the spots were from too much drooling (teething) but he's been a bit off his food and cranky so now I'm wondering if they could be something else.

I've managed to get a picture of him while he's asleep, any ideas?

dementedpixie Wed 09-Dec-15 15:55:50

Impetigo maybe

purplepingu Wed 09-Dec-15 16:44:42

I can't get an appointment while tomorrow anyway but he seems to have perked up from yesterday, he's eaten more and hasn't been as cranky.

It doesn't look like impetigo from the pictures I can see on Google.

quirkychick Wed 09-Dec-15 16:47:04

Yes it is possible to just get it around the mouth. My dd (6) has just had this, the gp said it can present differently in different children.

Greengrass1982 Wed 09-Dec-15 16:49:02

I'm sure this hand foot and mouth is doing rounds at the momment. I took my son to the doctors I asked he doctor if he thought my son had had it as he's had awful spotty rash over his face the doc wouldn't really give me a straight answer. Someone else I know said there child had been ill rash broke out on the child face

Greengrass1982 Wed 09-Dec-15 16:50:16

My son also the same not eating. And very cranky. Xx

purplepingu Wed 09-Dec-15 19:28:42

He's eaten more today than he has done the last few days and seems more 'normal'. I've seen that doctors don't treat hand foot and mouth anyway so at least he's not missing out on treatment by me not being able to get him there sooner.

The spots look the same as the ones on Google but he's not got them anywhere else, that's what was throwing me!

Graceymac Thu 10-Dec-15 00:13:30

Yes it is, one of my dds only had 1 spot, one had loads and I got it only on my hands and feet, thank god!!

quirkychick Thu 10-Dec-15 14:13:58

Def doing the rounds. I didn't think dd had it as she'd had a rash round her mouth on and off for ages (that we'd seen the gp for) we even got checked by the nurse when she had her flu vaccination, as seemed fine, but it made it worse sad. We only went to the gp as the rash was then round her eye and in her nose and we had some abs as the gp said the rash was infected from her nose (nice). Dd was definitely off food for a good while and it really knocked her for six. No rash ever appeared on her hands or feet, though. Nasty virus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now