Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stomach aches that don't go away

(5 Posts)
Stasie Tue 08-Dec-15 20:10:29

I'm not sure what to do as I've not encountered this before, so thought I'd ask on here.

Ds is 8 and he has said he has a stomach ache for the last few days. It doesn't seem to stop him from doing anything, including being silly and quite active, and it gets worse then better then worse and then better again - but seems to always be there.

He's very sensitive to his body (probably ASD) and informs me of every little click and ache and twinge, from his eyebrows to a random place on his leg. It's constant really, but very low level.

So I'm not sure how seriously to take this.He actually told school today and they sent him home a bit early, but he seemed fine when I picked him up and I'm not sure if this is really significant.

Normally I wouldn't expect him to tell another adult about it iyswim?

Anyway I don't know whether a GP appt would be any use, really - he has zero other symptoms. I think it would be a quick exam and a 'see how it goes'. I will send him to school tomorrow I suppose, but I don't know if I ought to be taking more action, if that makes sense - he could just be constipated or something? He hasn't been drinking a lot recently and needs reminding.

He says it is like something sharp in his tummy, around the middle, as if he had swallowed a hard object maybe. Not appendix, I'm fairly sure, no rebound pain and it's just not that bad. And nothing lower quadrant.

Any ideas? (I don't think he has been eating lead paint or sucking marbles or anything - though I will ask him)

ktmummy1 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:48:02

Hmm that's a bit puzzling. I think I might take him to GP as they can check stomach is soft and check by feeling lower stomach if intestines are full(constipated). I guess it depends how much pain he seems to be in. Does he have a raised temperature?

Stasie Tue 08-Dec-15 21:07:10

Thank you for answering. No, no temp, nothing at all like that. It feels soft to me and he is eating well, in fact more than usual.

I'm worried that school will think me a bad parent! But he is generally anxious about school and doesn't like being there, so maybe we can put it down to that...I'm not sure.

ktmummy1 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:39:13

If he's not showing signs of being ill eg temp, bloody stools, vomiting, pain then I'm sure it's nothing but then if you could get him in to GP in am first thing at least you could then say to school that he's been to GP and is fine??

Stasie Wed 09-Dec-15 07:57:15

Thank you - that would have been a good idea, but it seems to have gone this morning, which is remarkable!

Have instructed him not to inform school if it returns, unless he is incapacitated...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now