Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 3yo's colonoscopy

(12 Posts)
h0peful Mon 07-Dec-15 18:53:01

My 3yo DS is having a colonoscopy this week to investigate some recent blood in stool (and bloating and explosive stools which he's always had but I didn't really think much of blush).

Has anyone's child been through this? I'm feeling a bit emotional about it but won't show this to him. I need to tell him what's happening but I'm struggling to find the right (simple) words. Does anyone have any advice? sad

Badders123 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:00:28

I had one last week!
As he is a child he will be put to sleep.
The prep is the worst bit, honestly. It basically gives you bad diahorrea...this isn't pleasant but a couple of tips...put orange of lemon squash in the prep...it'll make it easier to get down.
Put sudocrem or vaseline on his bottom after each month movement or he will get sore
If you have a tablet use it to let him.plAy games etc whilst Sat on the loo.
He won't remember a thing, so.don't worry about that.
Good luck

Badders123 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:01:41

I just told my dc that I was having a camera up my bottom for the Dr to look at my bowel as I was getting a lot of tummy ache.
They found this hilarious Tbh

h0peful Mon 07-Dec-15 19:07:33

Thanks Badders. Poor you! My husband has had a couple under sedation and so I know it's not pleasant for adults!! My husband was immensely relieved that DS would be under GA!

The tips about the iPad and squash are great, thanks. I'm dreading the day before with the picolax and no food. He loves to eat sad

Badders123 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:12:29

To be honest I didn't mind the not eating! Honestly, the prep is the worst bit. The actual procedure is a breeze after that.
I was put under too and all I remember is a lovely sleep smile
Do take Comfort from the fact that kids are so much more resilient than we are...it amazes mean what they take in their stride!
los, do make sure be drinks LOADS esp after each movement. It will stop him getting dehyrated.

Blueberry234 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:42:22

My 4 year old had one earlier this year for similar reasons also an endoscopy. Bowel prep wasn't as explosive as I thought it would be he was able to eat jelly day before so that kept him happy. They cannulated him whilst under ga and I held him as they put him to sleep once he woke I climbed on to the trolley with him. One tip though is to keep a pair of pull ups on him whilst they put him under otherwise his bowel will relax and he will poo over your leg <voice of experience> hope all goes well

Blueberry234 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:43:20

And expect him to be ravenous once he comes round my son with his usual poor appetite ate 4 slices of marmite on toast! 🐷

h0peful Mon 07-Dec-15 20:11:08

Thanks Blueberry. I'm very relieved I'll be there when he goes down and when he wakes. I was worried they might not let me be with him. Thank you for the pull-up tip grin!

Do you mind me asking whether you got a diagnosis straight away?

Blueberry234 Mon 07-Dec-15 20:31:06

Yes we got a brief idea of what was found then biopsy results at follow up

Badders123 Mon 07-Dec-15 23:41:54

Ya th dr came to see me and told me the results after I got back from recovery.

BlackSwan Wed 09-Dec-15 00:25:31

Hi h0peful, my ds 5, is in for this this week too - investigation because of a fistula. Has your DS had his yet? I am also dreading...

summerdreams Thu 10-Dec-15 16:50:26

Hi I just started a threat on this as my 16 mo has gotta have this plus impedence and endoscopy in jan.please let me know how it goes smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now