Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I think my 6 week old has a squint

(8 Posts)
SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Mon 07-Dec-15 15:59:03

Her eyes aren't obviously crossed but if you look in her eyes you'll see your reflection dead centre in one pupil, but at the edge of the iris in the other. Or in a flash photo, though subtle, the light flash is at slightly different points in each eye, eg on the white in one and the iris in the other. It's fixed, not occassional or changing in degree.

I've looked at my others, they always show reflections at the exact same point. Does anyone have experience of this at this age? My others did occasionally squint at this age, but it was only on focusing and resolved quickly.

ktmummy1 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:17:24

Could you mention it to the health visitor and get her referred to orthoptist?

Jw35 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:20:58

Yes mine had a squint until around 7-8 months. She's now 11 months and it's corrected itself. Apparently it's really common! Mention it to your hv but the doctors only get concerned after their 1st birthday (that's what they told me)

zippyswife Mon 07-Dec-15 18:42:42

Both dcs had signs of it. They were referred to opthamologist who gave them all clear by 2 years. Try not to worry- it's so common at that age.

Wolfiefan Mon 07-Dec-15 18:47:03

My DS had a suspected squint. He was monitored for a bit but grew out of it. I would mention it to health visitor if you are worried.

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 08-Dec-15 11:02:43

Thanks, I have experience of a bit of roving in little ones... but not a fixed misallignment. Good to hear it's common

littlecupcake Thu 10-Dec-15 18:57:27

My DD had quite an obvious squint which I noticed from a few months old. We for a referral to the Orthoptics dept at the hospital where we went for check ups every 6 months or so. She has worn glasses done she was 2 years old and this has helped with the angle of the squint as well as improving her vision. When we had been three times with the angle of the squint stable (in other words, the squint angle stopped changing as she grew) we were offered surgery to correct the squint. She had the surgery when she was 4 and a half, purely for cosmetic reasons. It was successful and made a massive difference to her appearance. I'm not saying this is what you'll need, but I thought you might appreciate hearing from someone who needed further treatment when the squint didn't correct itself. Feel free to contact me if you've got any more questions, I'm happy to share our experiences. Good luck, but the best thing any parent can do is seek professional advice as soon as they are concerned - there may be things they can do to help e.g. patching (although we were told it wouldn't help in DD's case) and the sooner the better!

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 15-Dec-15 18:25:10

Thank you.
My sister actually had the operation after developing a squint as an adult which went well.

I wasn't sure the implications so for a baby so thank you for sharing. dd's is so subtle, I only see it when light is reflected as the dot is clearly in different areas. All my children had 'fake' squints because of big epicanthic (sp?) folds and you'd otherwise presume this was the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now