Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bacterial pneumonia - when to send back to preschool?

(23 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sun 06-Dec-15 19:07:52

Ds1 is 3 and have been told he has bacterial pneumonia after having a virus which turned into bacterial pneumonia. He had been of school laid on the sofa, not eaten anything since last Sunday but started antibiotics yesterday and when he is due to go back to school tomorrow he will have had 7 doses (3 per day). He is still weak but much more alert and today he managed a walk outside for about 5 mins before needing to rest. It's not much, but he is also up and playing inside for a couple of hours before needing a rest. I think after a sleep tonight he will have more energy and maybe OK for just a couple of hours at preschool tomorrow.

But I have no idea if he will still be contagious? I think technically he just had a cold which turned into pneumonia because he has a weak chest, so would i be right in thinking he wouldn't be passing pneumonia on, but just a cold?

cathpip Sun 06-Dec-15 19:24:13

I take it the bacterial pneumonia was the strep A bacterial and not the meningicocal bacteria? My dd aged 3 caught strep A bacterial pneumonia, it super imposed on top of a virus, she died. Pneumonia is nasty and takes ages to get over, please don't send him even if he's not contagious, he needs rest a lot of rest.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 06-Dec-15 19:37:57

I'm so so sorry to hear that cath thank you for your reply.

I have no idea what type of bacteria, my dh took him to the doctors and they said that after a simple cold the mucous gets stuck in lungs and the bacteria thrives on it and turns into pneumonia.

He does seem to need a lot of rest, will keep him off then

Kanga59 Sun 06-Dec-15 22:20:29

My 2yo had bacterial pneumonia 2 weeks ago and spent the best part of a week in hospital. Yabu to think of sending him to preschool for a few hours tomorrow. Day 4 onwards you can be more confident that they are no longer contagious btw, did your GP tell you it was 2 days?

annandale Sun 06-Dec-15 22:24:33

I would plan for anything up to another 5 weeks off tbh. Pneumonia is an awful disease IMO and people take a very very long time to recover from it. Obviously consult your ds's doctor but I would be very cautious with it and wait until your son is really bouncing around all day as he normally would. It's easy to forget how much energy little children should have when they look basically OK, but tired after a 5 min walk shows that he's nowhere near recovered yet IMO.

ottothedog Sun 06-Dec-15 22:29:06

Oh gosh just let him/make him rest for ages yet. Hope he's feeling better soon. No preschool til perhaps after xmas or just go in for the fun xmassy bits

AnotherTimeMaybe Mon 07-Dec-15 02:56:09

He seems to be making a very quick recovery, are they very sure it was pneumonia? Did they X-ray him?
Nevertheless I'd send him when he's normal regardless of how soon or how late this is (and if you're 100% it's not viral pneumonia )

cathpip I'm so sorry!

MoreSnowPlease Mon 07-Dec-15 08:10:41

No xray, I'm not entirely sure because it was dh who was with him at doctors. He came it and said they'd given him antibiotics because she could hear an infection and thought it might have been a cold that turned into pneumonia because of his history of chest issues (he had very bad viral wheezing for about 18 months, lots of hospital stays) we didn't go to hospital for this as he wasn't wheezing and that's what I've always looked out for as indication of needing to be there!

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick from dh but pneumonia was definitely mentioned and he had antibiotics which presumably wouldn't be prescribed for viral pneumonia (or have an effect like they have done). I've looked up the symptoms of pneumonia and he had all of them and still has a lot but the fever had gone which I guess is why he's feeling better.

When I say able to play for a few hours I mean draw/play Lego, he's certainly not his usual self (acrobatics on the sofa, wrestling his brother) he's still not eating much, crackly chest, coughing fits, pale, weak, sleepy etc. Yes, he's not right to go back yet, don't know what I was thinking really

LHReturns Mon 07-Dec-15 22:03:47

Could it have been mycoplasma pneumonia? Also known as atypical pneumonia. My 18 month old DS and I have had this, undiagnosed for about 4 weeks. Was just assumed to be a chest infection. We both recovered quickly after the correct antibiotics were finally prescribed....my DS bounced back very quickly (it is taking me longer to get my strength back...partly because my severe coughing for a month caused pulled muscles throughout my back!).

If your son had this type, I would not be surprised by the recovery you describe. I am sorry for the little guy though!

I was told that this type of pneumonia is contagious. We didn't give it to my DP or our nanny though. They both just got normal colds.

Btw both my DS and I developed bad colds AFTER the pneumonia cleared. As soon as our chests improved, and energy returned, our sinuses filled up! Maybe a new cold, but perhaps keep a close eye on your DS's recovery...this has not been plain sailing at all. Hideous 6 weeks actually...

MoreSnowPlease Tue 08-Dec-15 08:08:13

Maybe LH but just looked at the symptoms and doesn't sound as much of a match as normal pneumonia. Doesn't sound like you had much fun!

I really thought he was getting alot better yesterday, didn't sleep all day and loss more playing episodes. But he's gone back downhill today, he sound really crackly when he's breathing and like he's working quite hard to breath again sad

AuntieStella Tue 08-Dec-15 08:12:51

I hope he improves again soon.

I think I'd write off regular attendance at preschool now until January. But I would ring up for a chat about any special events they are planning in the run up to Christmas, and see if he could join in for a few hours for those.

LHReturns Tue 08-Dec-15 08:51:07

Sorry to hear that OP. I think the slow recovery has been my big surprise with this. I thought my DS and I would both recover just like a normal cold once the right antibiotics were prescribed. But no! Take it easy on your little man.

LHReturns Tue 08-Dec-15 08:53:13

To not contradict my earlier post, our terrible productive and constant racking coughs recovered quickly with the right drugs, but the energy and general feeling of malaise took much longer.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 09-Dec-15 13:53:59

He's still laid on the sofa looking pale, is this what you mean by long recovery though lh ? I don't think the antibiotics are working, gp wants to give them longer, but he's getting worse?!

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 14:03:06

If he's finding it hard to breathe should you be taking him back to the doctor? Sounds horrible.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 09-Dec-15 14:06:51

Yeh I've got another appointment later today

MoreSnowPlease Wed 09-Dec-15 14:13:27

I'm so scared fit him now, he's back not eating/drinking/weeing and just falling asleep all the time

ottothedog Wed 09-Dec-15 16:19:36

Hope the appointment goes ok. There is always a+e if you are still concerned later on tonight x

FancyPuffin Wed 09-Dec-15 17:00:08

I hope that he starts feeling loads better soon flowers

I know you probably already know but if his breathing becomes bad please don't hesitate to call 999 they can assess and start treating immediately.

LHReturns Wed 09-Dec-15 18:38:59

OP what is he latest on your DS? I am so sorry to hear he has regressed. It certainly sounds like he needs more help. And no, my DS and my recovery from mycoplasma pneumonia was not as difficult as this.

Please update us...

Madmog Thu 10-Dec-15 14:46:52

It was just termed "pneumonia" but I've had it twice. Personally felt washed out (ie very weak, no energy, no appetite) for a about three weeks. Pneumonia for me was diagnosed by symptoms and listening to my chest. I had ABs for a week and then had to see doctor to confirm my chest was clearer. Personally felt washed out (ie very weak, no energy, no appetite) for a about three weeks. I wouldn't rush getting my own DC back to preschool, allow at least a week and see if he's up to it then. Slowly introduce activities, ie don't overlead him. Try to encourage him to eat healthily, funnily enough for me I was off my food but wanted fruit juices grapes and strawberries on both occasions.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 10-Dec-15 18:00:05

Thanks everyone, GP wanted to change antibiotics as chest sounded still not good, however thought we should go over to a&e for second opinion. Went over, ds1 perked up a lot having had a 3 hour sleep (very unusual but obviously needed it) and doctors thought there was nothing wrong with him, thought maybe was bacterial and then he caught another virus in top. So it's gone virus, bacterial, virus. Either that or 4 GP'S I saw have been wrong!!

He's much better today as well, and wanting to play between coughing fits so much happier now! Thanks all for asking smile

mad fruit is all he's wanted to eat as well!

ottothedog Thu 10-Dec-15 19:15:24

So glad he is on the mend flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now