Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS (11mo) screaming and squirming in pain after stomach bug - A&E or not ?

(23 Posts)
MelanieWiggles Sat 05-Dec-15 21:05:30

DS3 had very bad diarrhoea on Thursday night until around lunchtime yesterday. Since mid-afternoon yesterday he has been pretty much continuously screaming and moving around as if he is having stomach pain.

He could not sleep at all last night - he eventually fell asleep at around 5:30 am after some nurofen and seemed a bit better this morning but since early afternoon today he has been screaming again.

I think it may be stomach cramps related to the stomach bug but am not sure. He ate some soup at lunch and a small amount of dinner this evening, and has drunk a little water so I don't think he is dehydrated (yet).

I gave him some nurofen at around 5pm this evening but it has made no difference. He is now completely exhausted and is screaming out of tiredness and pain.

Should just ride it out or should we consider bringing him to A&E ?

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 05-Dec-15 21:10:45

I'd call 111 and see what they say. You could give calpol as well, the combination might make him a bit more comfortable.

I don't think riding it out is a good idea, so whether out of hours of A&E, 111 will be able to advise

RideEmCowgirl Sat 05-Dec-15 21:11:37

I would take him to hospital. He really doesn't sound well

srslylikeomg Sat 05-Dec-15 21:12:20

Call 111. For sure.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 05-Dec-15 21:13:45

How much nurofen has he had today? I'd give calpol now, and nurofen in an hour or so if all he's had is the 5am dose.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 05-Dec-15 21:14:39

Sorry, if all he's had is the 5am and 5pm dose (nurofen)

MelanieWiggles Sat 05-Dec-15 22:03:38

Thanks everyone. He has managed to fall asleep now thankfully. If he wakes and won't settle again I think we will take him in - it's been going on too long. Will keep you posted.

abbsismyhero Sat 05-Dec-15 22:09:47

my sons had gas as soon as they had food after a tummy bug and would howl like they were being slaughtered try some tummy massage?

but you should see a doctor too

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 05-Dec-15 22:10:56

Please just call 111 for advice anyway, it's just a phone call and a doctor or nurse will you back.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 05-Dec-15 22:11:24

*call you back

LittleFishBigOcean Sat 05-Dec-15 22:11:48

Have you been giving nurofen on an empty stomach? Ibuprofen should only be given with or after food.

Not saying that's what's causing the tummy ache, but worth knowing.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 05-Dec-15 22:17:19

I thought that was just the tablets?

WiIdfire Sat 05-Dec-15 22:20:32

A&E - he shouldnt be in that much pain, it could be something else. Is he drawing his legs up? Any red jelly colour in his poo?

HalfStar Sat 05-Dec-15 22:21:27

There's no chance he would have developed a hernia or anything? Just take a look if you can.

Iwantakitchen Sat 05-Dec-15 22:23:40

You should give nurofen with food and it can irritate the stomach paracetamol would be better

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 05-Dec-15 22:31:53

I didn't realise. Would help if they put that on the box!

MelanieWiggles Sat 05-Dec-15 22:59:19

No red jelly, although he hasn't pood since the last diarrhoea episode yesterday. No obvious sign of a hernia but I wasn't looking for one so will check again if he wakes (still sleeping which is hopefully a good sign).

We don't have a 111 service here (Ireland) so can't ring for advice unfortunately - it's either bring him in or nothing. I will definitely go if he wakes and is still distressed.

VegetablEsoup Sat 05-Dec-15 23:04:35

tbh I wouldn't give/take ibuprofen with a stomach upset.

but it doesn't sound right and obviously you are concerned, so cal ooh for advice.

dratsea Sun 06-Dec-15 01:57:18

Wildfire Late sign.

Melanie Big boy? Between episodes does he go really peaceful quiet, bit grey? In NZ so having a lazy afternoon. pm if worried and another attack about now.

LittleFishBigOcean Sun 06-Dec-15 06:46:27

DD suffers terribly with stomach bugs and we're always told to avoid nurofen on an empty stomach. Just passing on what I've been told.

ktmummy1 Sun 06-Dec-15 17:36:19

Is it possible he could have swallowed something eg a coin or similar?

MelanieWiggles Sun 06-Dec-15 18:31:46

Thanks everyone. He ended up sleeping all night and has been in ok form today - not great, v clingy but not crying in pain thankfully. I think it is probably the tail end of the bug. Really appreciate all the advice and will take note of the ibuprofen full stomach requirement for future reference.

Dratsea - thanks for your help. He is a big boy as it happens (99.6 percentile height and weight). Just curious as why that might have been important ?

MelanieWiggles Sun 06-Dec-15 18:37:28

ktmummy - He has two older brothers and although they have been well earned to keep toys out of his reach I still find Lego on the floor ! So it is possible that he could have swallowed something. That being said I tend to think it is a bug as his brother had a 24 hour vomiting bug earlier in the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now