Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pneumonia & hasn't eaten for a week

(13 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sat 05-Dec-15 15:59:40

My 3 year old had a cold which we have just found out has turned into an infection/developing into pneumonia. My other half took him to the doctors and he has antibiotics now, but he forgot to mention about him not eating. Since last Sunday he has literally eaten just a couple of apples, a carrot, a couple of breadsticks, and a small handful of nuts. He asks for things to eat occasionally but when I provide what he wants he tries but won't eat it. I know kids go off their food when ill, but this is really not much at all. He's also very hard to get any fluid into although I have been managing about a litre a day through constant badgering.

Should I just wait for the antibiotics to work and hope as they do his appetite will increase?

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Sat 05-Dec-15 16:05:29

When did he start on the antibiotics? They can take a few days to start working

MoreSnowPlease Sat 05-Dec-15 16:07:19

Just had his first dose so not working yet, but I'm just worried maybe i need to give him some sort of liquid food thing?

goinggrey1978 Sat 05-Dec-15 16:08:45

try ice pops

VegetablEsoup Sat 05-Dec-15 16:11:10

give him yummy easy food. porridge with a little chocolate powder for example, mashed banana on toast. scrambled eggs.
once he feels better he should get his appetite back.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 05-Dec-15 16:14:18

They can go without food for a long time. It's drinking that's the main thing. My GP said if a child is drinking they wouldn't worry if they didn't eat for a month.

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Sat 05-Dec-15 16:14:58

As long as he's drinking he should be ok. You need to give it a couple of days, then try some soft tempting food - a couple of spoons of scrambled egg or half a slice of toast. Only a small amount, and it f he can only eat 1 or 2 mouthfuls, then that's better than nothing. Full sugar Ribena or equivalent will provide some calories.

If he hasn't started to perk up by Tuesday or Wednesday, then you need to take him back to the gp.

Trust your instincts, but try not to panic.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sat 05-Dec-15 16:25:59

Jelly, ice cream, scrambled eggs,

MoreSnowPlease Sat 05-Dec-15 16:29:36

Ice pops good idea for the liquid thanks goinggrey

It's not that I'm not offering yummy foods, he's even turning down chocolate and biscuits! He always adjusts his food intake when he's ill, so I'm not massively worried, just that it's been going on a long time I guess and I was worried about him not getting the vitamins/calories he needs to fight this off.

Thanks everyone, will leave it a few days and I'm sure he'll perk up and I will have to go shopping again as he'll eat everything in sight!!

Sirzy Sat 05-Dec-15 16:39:07

My son went a week without eating anything other than a handful of rasins ones, he was in hospital at the time and they weren't concerned at all so I wouldn't worry too much yet. Just keep offering him bits and make sure he is drinking.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 05-Dec-15 16:40:03

You can get food supplement drinks, I had them when I had pneumonia. May be try asking your pharmacist?

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 05-Dec-15 16:52:33

Out of curiosity what is the physiological reason behind why we don't eat when we're ill? Is it because our bodies need every scrap of energy in fighting the infection/virus rather than in digestion? On the othe hand, surely the more energy you have from your intake of food, the more you'd have to fight the virus? So why don't we feel more hungry then? confused

Hope your DS feels better soon, OP.

MoreSnowPlease Sat 05-Dec-15 17:40:38

Thanks smile I thought the same curly that it can't really deal with processing food while fighting infection. I guess we take in enough while healthy to get us through times of sickness?

He's just spiked another temperature sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now