Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A cold before an operation- Please help any anaesthetists/ medical practitioners/anyone with experience of this

(4 Posts)
AllyourGreens Mon 30-Nov-15 11:19:19

DS 3.5yo is due to have his tonsils out in a couple of days but has had a bad cold for just over a week, it seems to be getting better. I've been told that he will be examined on the day to see if he's well enough.

However I'm wondering because he is not obviously at optimum health does this increase the degree of risk in the operation and If so to what extent?
What are the potential risks with still having a cold and undergoing an op?
I'm also concerned that if he undergoes the op now it will increase the time it will take him to recover, is that likely to be the case?
Apologies for all the questions but I have gave my consent prior to his cold, so understanding the op in light of these issues would help me a lot.

Jibberjabberjooo Mon 30-Nov-15 11:55:55

Yes that's exactly what happens, it can bring on other complications such as a chest infection or needing oxygen afterwards which means you're in hospital longer. So your recovery is longer.

If he's unwell they shouldn't anaesthetise him, if he's better take him in on the day, the anaesthetist will see you before hand anyway.

AllyourGreens Mon 30-Nov-15 18:42:03

Thanks for your reply Jibber

AnotherTimeMaybe Tue 01-Dec-15 23:41:02

When we took adenoids out all they told us is that he shouldn't have any meds for the last two days but they were ok if he had a cold (he always had a cold anyway cause of the adenoids!)
I suppose every anesthetist is different and it depends on his confidence on his skils
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now