Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

12 week son not tracking objects

(6 Posts)
Chech81mum Mon 30-Nov-15 11:00:08

Hi I'm hoping someone can share some experience with me. My son is 12 weeks he's healthy and was a normal delivery except he doesn't track with his eyes and he rarely smiles. I've seen a paediatrician and he found him normal except for the no eye contact. He is breastfed and feeds beautifully he has good muscle tone and if it wasn't for the fact that he doesn't seem to focus on me I wouldn't be worried.
Can babies this young get glasses?
Has anyone else had this and what did it turn out to be?

wannaBe Mon 30-Nov-15 11:09:24

does he respond to any visual stimulation at all? Does he e.g. turn towards light? or if you hold an object above him does he register it?

At three months I would be inclined to seek immediate appointment with yuor gp for a referral to an opthalmologist.

If there is a problem which can be addressed then the earlier you seek a diagnosis, the earlier any action can be taken to address it. If there isn't a problem then that may well resolve before any appointment is given but the earlier you seek an appointment the earlier you can get some answers.

I don't want to be alarmist but my VI was diagnosed at around three months because I didn't track any objects or make eye contact. I had light perception so would turn towards light, and nestagmas (sp?) which meant my eyes moved around and this was wrongly construed as me looking around,

barleysugar Mon 30-Nov-15 11:11:33

Id be getting an urgent referral to an Ophthalmologist. Some babies are a little bit slower to develop their eyesight, it's like they are still in the womb! This is called Delayed Visual Maturation. But time is of the essence with any concerns about vision in babies. Call your Gp today!

Chech81mum Mon 30-Nov-15 11:12:28

We are waiting for the ophthalmologist appointment.i saw the paediatrician on Tuesday so hoping to hear something this week. He does respond to light though.

wannaBe Mon 30-Nov-15 13:11:22

does he respond to other visual objects though? If you hold a brightly coloured object in front of his eyes does he register it? vs e.g. if you rattle something does he respond to the sound?
I would be chasing the opthalmologist appointment as urgent. Although if you've been seeing a paediatrician I'm guessing that there were already concerns that led you there?

Chech81mum Mon 30-Nov-15 14:50:54

I chased it up today, luckily I did because his referral had not been put as urgent. We are being seen on Monday. He does respond to sound and is calmed if he hears my voice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now