Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

do I keep DS off school if he has conjunctivitis?

(7 Posts)
Bjornstar Sun 29-Nov-15 16:40:34

Hello all, Ds has a pink eye and gunk coming out of the inner corner. Pretty sure it is conjunctivitis.

I know nurseries do not like parents to send children in if they have this - are the rules the same for schools?

Thanks

SpendSpendSpend Sun 29-Nov-15 16:42:32

I think the rules are the same as its contagious.

Neverletmego27 Sun 29-Nov-15 16:45:24

Yea they are. Keep him off school, docs first thing for eye drops. Dd has had a few tines, school were fine with her going in with eye drops.

longdiling Sun 29-Nov-15 16:50:21

I have a list of illnesses and whether to keep kids off, it was given to me by the Health Protection Agency cos I'm a childminder. Conjunctivitis is on there as a 'no need to exclude'. However, school may have their own policy so you'll need to check in the morning. Look at page 7 on here:

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/353953/Guidance_on_infection_control_in_schools_11_Sept.pdf

longdiling Sun 29-Nov-15 16:50:55

Bathe it with cooled boiled salty water and you may be surprised how much it's improved by tomorrow!

VegetablEsoup Sun 29-Nov-15 16:54:28

no need to keep him off.
clean the eyes well with cooled boiled water and loo roll cotton (seperate ones per eye).
you can also use cool chamomile tea, which is very soothing.

Shirkingfromhome Sun 29-Nov-15 16:55:27

Slightly different from your situation but my DS had conjunctivitis and he was allowed nursery as long as it was being treated. Nursery helped with day doses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now