Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS has toothache

(3 Posts)
FormerlyKnownasFK Thu 26-Nov-15 11:44:12

DS (11) has bad toothache. Was up last night crying with pain from 2.30. Took him to the dentist for an emergency appointment and she redid a tiny filling he had a fortnight ago for chipped enamel on the offending tooth, but couldn't find anything obviously wrong. No sign of infection.

He's having paracetamol alternating ibuprofen which is helping but I really didn't get any idea from the dentist about what to do next if it doesn't settle. TBH she was quite unhelpful.

Is there anything else I can do? How long to wait before we go back again if it doesn't settle? Get a second opinion? Might it just go away?

I've never had toothache and I feel out of my depth trying to comfort DS when he was begging me at 5 am to take him to the dentist and she hasn't helped much sad

PullUpsAreTricky Fri 27-Nov-15 00:48:03

did they X-ray the area? there may be more than one problem going on in the same area. If the pain hasn't improved at all then I would take him back tomorrow. Ask what the X-rays showed. I would take X-rays on a child unless a could see something very obvious.

FormerlyKnownasFK Fri 27-Nov-15 08:55:38

Thank you pull ups she didn't suggest x-rays at all. He slept all night with paracetamol and nurofen before bed and it seems to have settled a bit this morning. If it gets worse again over the weekend we'd have to see an emergency dentist anyway so would in effect be a second opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now