Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this her first period? Before pubic hair?

(5 Posts)
clemetteattlee Sun 22-Nov-15 10:27:23

Sorry for random question but I wondered if anyone could share any experience with me.

My DD is ten. She has been developing breasts for over a year and wearing a starter bra for six months. She doesn't have any pubic hair and hasn't yet been through her growth spurt. She does have monthly hormonal outbursts.
Yesterday she had some bright red vaginal bleeding when wiping. It was quite a lot but has now settled completely and she hasn't had any overnight.

From what I read girls are "supposed" to have developed pubic hair before they start menstruating and I wondered if anyone else's daughter had done this in the "wrong order?"

Thanks.

clemetteattlee Sun 22-Nov-15 16:18:19

?

Wellthatsit Sun 22-Nov-15 16:36:26

I am pretty sure that the hormones that trigger pubic hair are separate from the hormones that trigger growth and other parts of puberty. So it could be her period despite no pubic hair.

salixcaprea Sun 22-Nov-15 16:52:31

The Tanner stages of development are listed here.

It might be worth mentioning to your gp next time you are there, but it says there is significant variation between dc, so I'm sure there is no need to worry!

clemetteattlee Mon 23-Nov-15 01:32:48

Thanks both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now