Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yo with a chest infection - when is it ok to go back to nursery?

(9 Posts)
allwineismine Sat 21-Nov-15 16:36:23

I'm not sure how this works really. DS was diagnosed with a chest infection on Sunday night. Got antibiotics, I absolutely failed all my attempts to give them to him, then on Tuesday morning we got different AB which he finally graciously took. He is much much better now, no temperature, eating, playing, being his happy annoying wee self again.
He is still coughing though. I spoke to a GP on Friday (as a sort of follow up call) and he said that the cough itself can last for ages and not to worry about it.
DS is due to finish the AB on Monday. Would you send him to nursery? I kept him off all week.

MiniCooperLover Sat 21-Nov-15 16:38:54

To be honest I would have sent him back as sol as the ABs started kicking in and his temp was gone.

allwineismine Sat 21-Nov-15 16:50:45

I just wasn't sure really, his temperature went down almost immediately after the AB but he still seemed miserable. Apart from the cough he seems absolutely fine now.
I guess I was just looking for a bit of reassurance. No matter what I do, I always feel guilty. Working FT and being a parent is bloody hard work.

MiniCooperLover Sat 21-Nov-15 17:07:59

Don't feel guilty, he'll be fine at nursery. If he isn't they'd call you. I often found with my DS (a prolific receiver of chest infections) that once he was over the initial illness and temp, he was better back into his normal routine.

allwineismine Sat 21-Nov-15 17:23:30

Thank you for your kind words. DS had a chest infection last year too, I really don't know what brings them on. Back to nursery on Monday it is then.

May09Bump Sat 21-Nov-15 17:25:26

I give it a day after his temperature has returned to normal, they need a bit of time to recover. Also depends if he has slept through - if he is drained from it, then probably a bit longer.

allwineismine Sat 21-Nov-15 17:32:27

He has been sleeping through except for one night when he was sick very very sick
Do you normally go back for a check up to see if chest has cleared? I'm sorry if I sound so very precious. He is my everything and I am still beating myself for not having taken him to doctors earlier.

May09Bump Sat 21-Nov-15 18:28:25

Chest infections are hard to judge - don't worry. If he is responding well, then you don't need to get him checked again. If he isn't eating, sleeping or chest seems wheezy then take him back as might need a second course or different antibiotic. Sometimes infection reoccur - so just keep an eye on him.

allwineismine Sat 21-Nov-15 19:32:34

He's eating, sleeping and playing as normal. So hopefully everything ends well.
Thank you flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now