Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

my 5 month old

(9 Posts)
Sophiec20 Sat 21-Nov-15 09:26:33

Just need some advice I took my 5 month old to docs on Wednesday as he was coughing really badly when laid down he was screaming with every cough Thursday I rang 111 as he couldn't keep no food down and he was screaming for a good hour they got me into the docs again they checked him over said he had a chest infection gave him antibiotics now it's Saturday he still no better last night he was sick 3 time in a hour brought his whole bed time bottle back up but he kept the rest of his food down thought out the day and he still looks really drained has anyone else had this with there child confused

dratsea Sat 21-Nov-15 09:58:03

Temperature?

ktmummy1 Sat 21-Nov-15 11:14:04

Sounds like bronchiolitis... My dd had this at a similar age, I was so worried about it but it did pass after a short stay in hospital ( she was a prem baby so that's why hospital was necessary).

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sat 21-Nov-15 11:22:08

See somebody else today if you're worried.

My DS was 5 months when the GP diagnosed him with bronchiolitis. I knew it wasn't bronchiolitis (my eldest had it several times). His symptoms were different to your DS and I'm not making a direct comparison in that sense, but I knew that the diagnosis and treatment (inhaler and prednisolone) were wrong.

I took DS to A&E because his heart rate was through the roof, breathing was very rapid and he was cyanotic. DS had double pneumonia and was in hospital for a while and really not well tbh.

If the antibiotics haven't helped, if he isn't improving or is getting worse, I'd request an OOH appointment today and have him reassessed.

Bronchiolitis at this time of year is very common and antibiotics won't treat it. If he's really struggling, he might need steroids or oxygen.

Regardless, you are worried and he isn't improving. You need to ask for a review.

LIZS Sat 21-Nov-15 11:23:18

Any wheezing? Are you propping up the mattress at head end (rolled towels, books under for feet) , can you borrow a humidifier? It does sound like bronchiolitis which is viral , if he looks dehydrated or struggles to breathe go to a and e.

Sophiec20 Sat 21-Nov-15 11:57:19

He temp has been no more then 37.4 and he had bronchitis not long ago they saying its a chest infection yes he is wheezing and he sounds really rattley as well

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sat 21-Nov-15 13:05:38

The fever thing can be a bit of a red herring with babies that small. My DS didn't have a fever at all when he had pneumonia, precisely because his body wasn't fighting the infection.

How is he breathing? Can you see pulling in under his ribs or around his neck? Is he working particularly hard to breathe?

Does anything help? Have you tried steam (in the bathroom with the shower and taps on or boiling the kettle in the room, damp towels on radiators etc), propping him up, snuffle babe vapour rub?

LIZS Sat 21-Nov-15 13:24:49

Bronchitis is different to bronciolitis. If he is wheezing and nothing you have tried so far relieves this please ring the nhs line or see out of hours/a and e.

Sophiec20 Sun 22-Nov-15 12:05:32

Just letting u all no I'm rang 111 they told me take him to a&e to get checked over he was put on oxygen due to his levels being low he spent the night in hospital and he is doing well he just come off the oxygen so hopefully his levels stay up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now