Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone had chicken pox like this?

(19 Posts)
squizita Fri 20-Nov-15 11:27:52

Or rather their LOS.

Mine had the pre-rash illness pretty bad. Very hot and scary cough.
However she has only a handful of spots. GP verified they do indeed look exactly like pox and the symptoms beforehand tie in.

She's 14 months and still bf.

So far had "too few spots mean no immunity" gloat texts far more frequently than get well soon. Grr.

Personally I think mold cases are often misdiagnosed hence they get them "again" ... so does this sound like CP?

PontyGirl Fri 20-Nov-15 11:31:55

How long has your LO had them? I had a very similar occurrence, except they soon turned into blisters, and it was hand foot and mouth disease. But if it's been more than 2 days, it won't be this.

Some children only get a few pox, I have known some only to get a handful. Really hope she gets better soon OP.

PontyGirl Fri 20-Nov-15 11:32:40

*I really hope

Stupid phone

FattyNinjaOwl Fri 20-Nov-15 11:35:52

My DS1 had chicken pox at 8 weeks old. He only had them down one arm and on his belly. He's 7 now and never had them again, despite being exposed loads (school, friends, my friends DC etc)
Hope your DD is better soon.

ragged Fri 20-Nov-15 11:41:28

DD had CP age 15-16 weeks. She only had about 7 spots but they were big & ugly as sin. I knew it was CP because her big bro had CP 2wks earlier. She's had immunity in every outbreak since (now a teenager). She wasn't ill in any other way.

squizita Fri 20-Nov-15 12:17:43

Thanks guys.
I though hfm too but the spots she has are following chicken pox time lines SO perfectly! Plus it's going round in my area (I work at a school so know 1st hand).

squizita Fri 20-Nov-15 13:57:21

Ragged sounds familiar. FX that's it!

megletthesecond Fri 20-Nov-15 14:00:15

Mine both had light diagnosed CP as babies. It came back with a vengeance when they were 4yrs and 2.5yrs.

shutupandshop Fri 20-Nov-15 14:07:43

My dd2 had the cp when she was 5 months old. She is now 11 and has had shingles so her immunity is just fine despite being told she may get them again.

worldgonecrazy Fri 20-Nov-15 14:13:41

DD had chicken pox which was mild too. I did try very hard for her to get it whilst she was still bf but despite my best efforts it didn't happen despite exposing her to various stages of the disease. When she was 4 she had quite a bad temperature one evening, followed by three spots on her face over the following days, and that was it. We didn't even know she had chickenpox until it was over. We have had no re-occurrence.

Witchend Fri 20-Nov-15 14:24:32

Dd1 had it mildly at 3yo. Definitely chickenpox as she gave it to dd2 (6 months at the time). She hasn't caught it again.

Dd1 didn't have 50 spots when we counted. She wanted to count dd2's spots. We gave up counting at 500. Later she only really had one which covered her all over though.

Tutu1000 Fri 20-Nov-15 14:28:28

My god-daughters both had chicken pox at different times, and both of them had it mildly. The eldest only had about 7 spots and a slight temp. After the first day she was up and about as normal. So far neither of them have had a repeat attack.

Whatevva Fri 20-Nov-15 14:41:06

DTDs caught chicken pox off their brother at 4 wks. DH got it too. Definitely chicken pox. DTDs were breastfed and only had a few spots.

One got it again at playschool. It took a several days to get going and she had spots on her body which we initially though were flea bites from a friend's cat. Suddenly, the spread and it was obviously chicken pox. It was going round, the playleader was sure and so were DH and I. I took her to Tesco in the trolley and I could see red patches beginning to appear on her face and arms, so hot footed it back home again. By then (10 minutes!), they were in retreat and only the big blisters left. By the next morning, obvious blisters were dry and the size of pinpricks. And that was it. Weird.

Her TS (who originally had 12 spots instead of the 7) didn't get anything.

YouMakeMyDreams Fri 20-Nov-15 14:55:57

Dd had a handful of spots could have counted then without getting bored of it. Was definitely cp as they were going about then ds caught them off her and he was absolutely covered poor wee soul.
She is 12 now ad has never caught them again.

Whatevva Fri 20-Nov-15 15:09:04

I had chicken pox with measles as a child and got shingles at 13. Half the school was coming down with chicken pox and I got shingles, which you are not supposed to catch from chicken pox hmm. It obviously re-awakened it though. It is an odd disease - it does not read the rules.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 20-Nov-15 15:10:41

Is it definitely chicken pox, my dc were missed diagnosed turned out to be hand foot and mouth. Which causes far fewer spots.

Bunbaker Fri 20-Nov-15 15:15:44

"So far had "too few spots mean no immunity" gloat texts far more frequently than get well soon. Grr."

Unfortunately that was true of DD. She first had chicken pox when she was 6 and was really off colour for a few days beforehand. When the 7 or 8 spots appeared she started to feel better. I know it was chicken pox because everyone else she had played with had it at the same time.

She then caught it when she was 9 and had it properly. She felt really unwell and was covered in spots. She still has the chicken pox scars today (she is 15 now).

I hope your DD feels better soon.

squizita Fri 20-Nov-15 15:21:19

The GP said not hfm due to location of spots (nothing near the areas), timeline of spots/pustules/pox and relationship to temperature etc. The illness before the spots was pretty bad (which is why I'm a bit miffed people are acting like she's not been ill! Maybe I should just say she had flu grr).

So I guess only time will tell!
I've already taken unpaid leave to care for her, while she looks bored ... so I do hope it wasn't over nothing and she's been well since the fever broke!

squizita Sat 21-Nov-15 19:11:24

...We have more pox today! Not loads but enough to make me think it's CP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now