Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Persistent limp-worrying myself silly here

(18 Posts)
Used2bthin Fri 20-Nov-15 09:36:00

dd aged 9 has many health problems and also has Autism which means it's very hard to find out what hurts where etc.
She has a condition for which she's on steroids and has over the last four months been over treated and this has made her gain huge amounts of weight but this is being sorted now . Because of this health professionals have I feel been reluctant to address the limp she has as it could all be part of the issues she's had with steroids and weight gain but I am very worried something else is going on.
Since February she's been having issues going from sitting to standing (so before the steroid issues and weight gain) however it seemed to come and go . It's been gettimg worse and she seems less and less mobile .
So , forgetting the other health concerns has anyone had similar experience with children and what was it?
The main things are struggling to get up fri sitting or lying and using stairs as she now hobbles down them in the morning (it is far worse on getting up as she seems stiff)
Also limping/avoiding putting weight on one leg-she uses the bannister to support her weight on the stairs)
She gets worse the further she walks but is now only able to do very short distances.
She also has psoriasis and I'm so worried about arthritis .
All I managed to get from her is she has pain in her hips, leg and/or groin area (from her pointing )
I realise this is asking the impossible but any ideas or experience? We are seeing the paediatrician next week and I'm worried we will be told again to wait till the weight issue is sorted-it doesn't help that the limp comes and goes so it sometimes looks like I'm making it up !

Used2bthin Fri 20-Nov-15 09:36:40

So sorry for the length of that! If anyone got through it thank you so much !

CMOTDibbler Fri 20-Nov-15 09:40:53

I'd keep a diary of her symptoms, and video her limping/hobbling over the next week so they can see any pattern. If she would use a visual pain scale, then you could try that as well so you can describe her pain levels

Used2bthin Fri 20-Nov-15 09:45:32

Thank you . Yes good idea with the videoing in fact I will record her coming downstairs tomorrow morning then can take it to our appointment Tuesday .
We have a visual pain scale but she's a bit resistant to using it! But will speak to her psychologist as perhaps she could try.
Thank you!

Pandsbear Fri 20-Nov-15 14:03:19

Typed long reply but it has gone! Can you look up Servers disease- my DD was diagnosed with this in the summer (now age 10 but was 9 when similar symptoms started). Not a disease as such so stupid name, more an issue where the bones of the heel grow quicker (at this age) than the tendons and you get pain. My DD started to limp, couldn't get up from sitting/coming downstairs/no long walks at all etc. Hospital diagnosed and she has exercises to do along with physio appts. I had never heard of it!

Pandsbear Fri 20-Nov-15 14:05:23

Ps the info all says affects heels but my DD had sore legs as well as a knock on effect from the pain in her feet/ankles.

Witchend Fri 20-Nov-15 14:25:24

Is it both legs or just one?

Used2bthin Fri 20-Nov-15 14:26:34

Just looked it up thank you and cold well be-wouldn't surprise me at all if it was pain that started elsewhere as she doesn't always show any signs of pain. Had never heard of it either!
Only thing that doesn't seem to fit though is it says it gets better with rest but I find she's so much worse in the morning . Does get worse the more walking she does though too, how was your daughter in the mornings ?
Hope she's soon recovered-how long did she limp for ?

ragged Fri 20-Nov-15 14:54:47

Should OP be thinking about Perthes disease? I know it would be an unusual presentation (not a young boy). Perthes is treatable, yes I think you should mention it to her doctor.

Used2bthin Fri 20-Nov-15 15:30:42

Thank you will look that up too, I think it's gone on so long that it will need treatment especially since it's getting worse even with the steroids being less of a factor.
I hope the paediatrician is willing to look beyond the other stuff going on at other things it could be too.

Used2bthin Fri 20-Nov-15 15:41:41

Just looked that up and again looks very similar to what's been going on. She's pointed to the groin area in fact saying it hurts both sides.
I thjnk its strengthened my resolve that this needs properly investigating because there are so many things it could be and it's not getting any better .
Thank you for getting through my mammoth post too !

Em3978 Fri 20-Nov-15 16:17:11

I was also going to suggest Perthe's, I had it at about age 7 (I'm female) and presented with a limp and groin pain.

Used2bthin Fri 20-Nov-15 17:55:28

Thanks Em3978 . I think it does seem to match her symptoms although hers do come and go a bit so maybe it would be more severe but so hard to tell with my Dd who has in the past insisted she felt no pain whilst being treated for a kidney infection so severe they thought it had caused sepsis (think it's an autism thing!)

Pandsbear Sat 21-Nov-15 20:44:46

Ah good, a couple of suggestions for you OP. Re: my DDs Servers- yes her feet really hurt in the mornings when she got out of bed (I was worrying about some form of inflammatory arthritis because of this- which I have...).

Hope you get some answers for your DD.

Used2bthin Sun 22-Nov-15 17:57:04

Thank you.
Yes that's my worry about the morning being worse so that's reassuring to hear.
I still haven't managed to film her but going to try to catch her tomorrow morning

Used2bthin Tue 24-Nov-15 14:38:11

Hello just an update.
Saw the paediatrician today and she has referred Dd to a general orthopaedic consultant and said he will probably do some x Rays and decide whether to send her instead to his colleague in the spinal team because Dd seems to have some rounding/curving in the upper back too (I hadn't realised as had thought it just how she holds herself iyswim)
She examined her and she didn't seem to be in pain when her legs were rotated but she did see her limp and also that she can't bend down to lift things off the floor.
All round a good result in that I felt listened to and she has referred her but am now of course worried about what it is. She did say with over treatment on steroids there can be bone loss which is also a worry .
Not sure how long the wait is gling to be but she's also speaking to the physio at school who will see her in the mean time .

Used2bthin Tue 24-Nov-15 21:41:00

Just bumping in case anyone has experienced spinal issues causing this sort of issue or if any of today's stuff is familiar to any one who helped earlier ?
I'm a bit concerned about the potential link between the recent steroid over treatment and all of this and about what the long term impact could be as she has enough problems sad

Used2bthin Mon 30-Nov-15 13:20:31

Little bump in case anyone is around. DD does trampolining at school and I'm wondering if this is ok. She's been avoiding pe but seems to do this-it's called Rebound therapy so it's lower impact I think. Wish the appointment would come soon not had one through yet and suspect it will be a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now