Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sore throat, red with white spots, 5 years old

(9 Posts)
MooPointCowsOpinion Fri 20-Nov-15 07:48:20

I took DD1 to the doctor yesterday with a red sore throat. He was confident it would go on its own. Now today it is red with white spots at the back, the redness has spread up her palate.

I feel like I want to take her back, but the doctor was quite irritated with me yesterday for taking her. She's hardly ever ill, I'm no good at judging when she needs to be seen!

Would you?

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Fri 20-Nov-15 07:54:24

Sounds like a throat infection or tonsillitis, most of which are viral and wouldn't respond to antibiotics anyway. So I would probably keep her home, rested and hydrated (try ice lollies, custard etc if she won't drink). If she deteriorates or runs a high fever etc I'd go back.
Hope she feels better soon.

acatcalledjohn Fri 20-Nov-15 08:08:07

IME white dots indicate it's bacterial and thus warrants antibiotics.

I would go back but request a different GP.

SusannahD Fri 20-Nov-15 08:13:39

White spots indicate bacterial, it can go on its own but antibiotics will clear it up faster but she will need to finish the course. How is she in herself? That would sway my decision in taking to doctors and getting the antibiotics.

FreeWorker1 Fri 20-Nov-15 08:19:10

Red with white spots is likely tonsillitis.

Basically, she needs antibiotics.

Has she a temperature and feeling very weak and lacking energy? Classic signs of tonsillitis.

The GP needs another visit. Look at the NHS guidelines. If its is bacterial she needs antiobiotics.

"There are four main signs that tonsillitis is caused by a bacterial infection rather than a viral infection. They are:
•a high temperature
•white pus-filled spots on the tonsils
•no cough
•swollen and tender lymph nodes (glands)

Further testing may be recommended if you have at least two of the above signs. If you have three, it's highly likely that you have bacterial tonsillitis and antibiotics may be prescribed .."

GPs have been given directions to avoid handing out antibiotics but their decisions in my experience are arbitrary and based on personal attitude and who they think will not kick up a fuss.

MooPointCowsOpinion Fri 20-Nov-15 08:21:06

She's not too sad, she has cried when she yawns from the pain, and she's slightly warm, but she has been playing gently this morning and isn't lethargic.

If I wasn't worried about a telling off I wouldn't hesitate to take her however many times it took for me to feel confident she just needs time to get better and not any medication.

SusannahD Fri 20-Nov-15 08:34:40

If she has cried from yawning in pain I would take her. What's her temperature?

MooPointCowsOpinion Fri 20-Nov-15 10:36:26

She's around 37 now, yesterday it was more 38/39, but today windows are open and she's in a vest. She doesnt seem to be too sad now. I might yawn, see if she yawns, and see what happens next...

Jibberjabberjooo Fri 20-Nov-15 11:25:08

My DS has just been like this, after a couple of days it cleared up by itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now