Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Gave Paracetamol & Nurofen together, help!!

(10 Posts)
brimmond2 Wed 18-Nov-15 22:54:43

My 4yo son had surgery a week ago. We stayed 1 night in hospital. The nurses gave him both Paracetamol & Nurofen together 1st thing in the am & last thing at night in order they said to control the pain at its worst times. I have carried this on until yesterday, as well as giving x2 doses of Calpol during the day. I am now very concerned after reading conflicting reports about giving these 2 meds at the same time. Just praying I haven't done damage to my son. Was just following instructions given by the hospital... His pain has reduced enough now to be on Calpol only.

patterkiller Wed 18-Nov-15 22:57:03

I'm no expert but I'm sure they are different types of drug so ok to be taken together. I certainly gave my two the combination snd they have survived to older teens. I hope he's feeling better.

GiraffeHouse Wed 18-Nov-15 22:58:16

They are different drugs entirely. Don't worry. So long as you stick to the correct doses for each drug individually it's not a problem.

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 18-Nov-15 22:59:04

Calpol is paracetamol.

You can give paracetamol every 6 hours or 4 times in 24 hours.

You can give nurofen or ibuprofen every 8 hours or 3 times in 24 hours.

You can give them together.

Going by your post you have only given 2 doses of ibuprofen in 24 hours and 4 doses of paracetamol. This is fine.

Scarletforya Wed 18-Nov-15 23:00:04

It's fine.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 18-Nov-15 23:01:09

He'll be fine if you have followed the hospitals advice. I have often taken both together.

smithy40 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:00:56

Can I just add that you get Nurofen branded paracetamol which you obviously cannot give with Calpol paracetamol.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Wed 18-Nov-15 23:05:20

They are fine to give together on medical advice. It's an effective way of controlling more serious pain.

It's not something people should do routinely because (as you're finding right now), often one on its own is enough but sometimes you can need extra painkillers and alternating them or giving them together can provide this.

As others have said, the important thing to do is make sure you don't exceed the individual doses of each.

I'm glad he's getting better and hope he continues to do so.

Bogburglar99 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:08:52

DS used to have febrile convulsions and the nurses would give both together to bring his temp down. It's neither necessary nor advisable unless they are running a stinking temperature and liable to have a fit or in great pain like your poor DS, but it's OK. As a pp says they are different drugs and act in different ways.

Just make sure you write down what you give very carefully and dont exceed the maximum dose of either drug. You can always call the nurses for some reassurance in the morning if you're still worried.

Hope he feels better soon!

brimmond2 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:30:35

Thank you so much to everyone for the advice/support. God I feel so much better after reading! Was just so worried as I,d given x2 double doses am & pm for 7 days running! Was giving him 10ml Calpol & 7.5ml Nurofen together. Dose info I took from bottle for a 4yo. Gave him Nurofen tonight before bed & will give only Calpol in the am & pm,s. Thank you all again X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now