Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 yr old eyes crossing

(39 Posts)
ktmummy1 Wed 18-Nov-15 18:58:39

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that now and again, my 3yo daughter's eyes cross. I can't be sure which eye it is but they just go crossed and turn inwards. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago when I was sitting opposite my dd in a bright cafe for a drink. It was the morning but my dd was washed out and tired. The other times I've noticed it have been after nursery when she's tired. I know tiredness can cause it but I have been quite alarmed as they've never done this before until recently . Any advice gratefully received

dementedpixie Wed 18-Nov-15 20:03:55

Health visitor/GP or a visit to an optician that deals with children. My Dd was referred through the HV for a squint (at 18 months) and she turned out to be long sighted and needed glasses (still does at age 12)

BlackSwan Wed 18-Nov-15 21:22:13

Optician for sure - she needs an eye test.

dementedpixie Wed 18-Nov-15 21:24:46

Not all deal with children that age so check with them first. Dd had care through a hospital Orthoptist until the age of 7/8ish so if there are eye problems your lo may be referred on to an Orthoptist too.

Looserella Wed 18-Nov-15 21:32:14

I had this with my son. I mentioned it to the GP while we were there for something else and got referred to the orthoptist dept at hospital.

ktmummy1 Wed 18-Nov-15 21:34:24

Thanks. Am feeling slightly panicky after consulting Google. It's very sudden with my dd, just started happening as I said about two weeks ago and it comes and goes. I'm also stressed because I've only recently been us using what a lack of stamina our dd has. She tired v easily and I'm now worried there's something wrong.

I phone health visitor twice and left messages. Awaiting a response. I phoned specsavers but they only deal with children over 5. My oh thinks I should visit GP. I am not sure whether to find an optician that deals with children tomorrow and persist with health visitor or try to get an appointment with GP?

ktmummy1 Wed 18-Nov-15 21:34:55

*discussing

missmargot Wed 18-Nov-15 21:35:47

Please ask your GP for a referral to ophthalmology. They can do some basic tests in the surgery, including a red reflex test (this takes only a moment to do and can rule out some serious conditions very quickly) before they refer you.

ktmummy1 Wed 18-Nov-15 21:41:03

I am feeling really worried now. I had just been putting it down to tiredness.

Bogburglar99 Wed 18-Nov-15 21:41:26

My DD was quite astoundingly cross eyed at that age. HV referred us to the orthoptist at the hospital which is probably where you need to end up - if no joy with HV I would suggest GP, it depends how the system works in your area.

She was slightly long sighted at first appointment but they said this often resolves itself and by next appointment she was fine. Can still squint for England if she's tired mind!

I was also a squinting toddler and in my case it was a lazy eye that needed correcting with specs. No long term problems.

GP or health visitor for a referral, but I wouldn't panic.

missmargot Wed 18-Nov-15 21:45:11

Please don't panic and whatever you do don't start Googling. It could be tiredness, it could be any number of very minor and very treatable conditions but the sooner you get checked the sooner your mind will be put at rest.

madmotherof2 Wed 18-Nov-15 21:45:24

Spec savers saw my DS from 3 years 4 months old

ktmummy1 Wed 18-Nov-15 21:57:06

My local specsavers have said over 5. I'm feeling v worried, only natural I suppose. Have decided to go to GP with her tomorrow. Thanks

Bogburglar99 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:15:54

Please don't worry. One of the reasons youll probably need the hospital clinic is that for a high street opticians they need to be able to read an eye chart. Unless your DD is a child genius she won't know her letters reliably yet smile

The hospital clinic staff are very kind and experienced with small kids and they can put drops in her eye and check that way whether she needs glasses. It's very unalarming and if she does need her vision correcting the sooner the better. I had glasses from 2 and my vision with them is absolutely fine. Good luck tomorrow.

Justyou Wed 18-Nov-15 23:27:42

Vision express saw my dd when she had just turned 4, referred us to hospital optician for her lazy eye. They were fab and referred us quick.

ktmummy1 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:29:10

Thanks for reassuring me. I guess I'm just afraid there might be an underlying cause for the squint- it's googles fault.

beatofthedrum Wed 18-Nov-15 23:29:35

Please don't panic. This happened overnight with each of my children, one at age 3 and one at age 2. They needed glasses. I terrified myself with health implications and it really was that simple. That is by far the most likely scenario.

beatofthedrum Wed 18-Nov-15 23:30:45

I googled too the first time and spent four days in utter panic, needlessly.

DeputyPecksBentBeak Thu 19-Nov-15 00:30:16

thanks It can be hard not to imagine the worst sometimes. But the chances of it being serious vs the chances of it not are extremely low. It could be down to tiredness. I know when DD (3.9) gets overtired the knock on effect can last for a few weeks before she catches up and her behaviour returns to normal. Good luck at the GP

ktmummy1 Thu 19-Nov-15 06:27:03

Thanks all. I'm trying to stay calm and my logical brain says the fact that it's only been noticeable a handful of times in a fortnight is promising and always when she's been overtired. Still am hoping to get a GP appointment this morning for further advice and a referral to ophthalmology. She was a premature baby too so I know that puts her at a higher risk of having eye problems

ktmummy1 Thu 19-Nov-15 06:43:39

Ok so have taken photos with flash this morning and both eyes have the typical red-eye so I'm guessing that's good?

missmargot Thu 19-Nov-15 17:22:35

Yes, typical red eye is good. If you're thinking retinoblastoma then a tumour large enough to cause a squint is definitely large enough to show in photos.

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional but my son did have retinoblastoma so have learnt a lot about it.

ktmummy1 Thu 19-Nov-15 18:39:59

To update

Managed to get a GP appointment for 5pm! I tried Health Visitor, opticians etc but opticians had no available appointments and health visitor felt GP was best bet!

Went through all my concerns with GP. He was quite dismissive really (there were a few other things I also mentioned that I was concerned about). He thought I was an over anxious Mum and actually made me feel slightly tearful and angry. Anyway, he's referring us to the eye hospital for further investigation so at least that's something! Thanks for all your support.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 19-Nov-15 18:42:09

Your doctor is an arse. Glad you got the referral smile

missmargot Thu 19-Nov-15 18:43:05

Sorry your doctor was an idiot. Fingers crossed for a speedy referral to put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now