Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How should Ovex work?

(3 Posts)
Shootingstar2289 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:42:44

Unfortunately a few weeks ago my son caught threadworms. I'm OCD enough as it is and this has driven me into a constantly cleaning frenzy and my hands are red raw.

Anyway, myself, my son and my partner were treated then again after 2 weeks. Showered or bathed every day (which we do anyway) and seemed to go away.

We have a 5 month old daugher who as not treated when we were as it's not reccomend for under twos. I spoke to a doctor who said just to keep an eye on her. I was worried she would get them as my son and daugher sometimes shared baths, my son played with her toys, give her dummy to her, held her hand and played on her play mat.

A week after our second dose so three weeks after the first. My daughter woke up after fidgeting in her sleep. I thought nothing of it until I changed her nappy and seen a live worm - puke.

Took her to the doctors the next day agreed to prescribe her treatment. I give it to her Friday morning. No sign of any worms until last night so 2.5 days after treatment - I seen one on her bottom and it was very wriggly and another this morning 3 days after treatment. She has done two or three poos since being treated and haven't seen worms in them. But have seen living worms on her skin twice.

Does this mean the treatment hasn't worked? As they are still being seen around her bottom and not dead in her poo?

dratsea Mon 16-Nov-15 21:05:06

The drug is not taken into the body so has to reach the worms by transit. That could be 3-4 days so don't need to panic yet. Do you have a second dose for her to take in 10 days?

dementedpixie Mon 16-Nov-15 21:07:56

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Threadworms/Pages/Treatment.aspx - says it takes a few days to work as it stops the worms absorbing sugars rather than killing them outright

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now