Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone know about eyes? Sight test results

(5 Posts)
Inthesleeplessnightgarden Sun 15-Nov-15 19:58:22

DS (5) had an eye test at school ( we are abroad, he has just started reception). The results came home showing distance vision 6/6 in right eye 6/12 in left. Says he ought to have a further examination but no more explanation. Can someone tell me what that result means? ( have attached a copy of the report, cropped to remove names). We normally travel home for healthcare as it's not great where we are so would be good to know if this can wait until a normal holiday trip or should be done sooner. (Don't worry we're not NHS health tourists, we have medical in the uk!). Any advice welcome. Thanks.

lougle Sun 15-Nov-15 20:08:23

It means that in the left eye, he could only read at 6 metres what most people could read at 12 metres. So short-sighted. The right eye was normal.

But they recommend another sight test to confirm it.

Karoleann Mon 16-Nov-15 22:06:49

I can't really read it on my phone, but as lougle says vision I left eye is much worse than right. They may be short-sighted/long sighted/astigmatic.

You just need to go and see an optician/optometrist/oculist and have an eye exam.its likely your lo just needs glasses. No need to see an eye spe oak sit or worry at all!

hotandbothered24 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:20:09

These results are telling you that the right eye has a normal level of vision, the left eye is a bit reduced and he will need further testing to find out why. It is most likely due to more refractive error in the left eye. This could be longsight/shortsight or astigmatism. If you think of an eye test chart 6/6 is the normal level of vision, 6/12 is 2 lines bigger.

Inthesleeplessnightgarden Tue 17-Nov-15 12:09:14

Thanks all, really helpful. We are off on an African opticians adventure this weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now