Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

In a few hours DS is going to have an injection/canula and I know he'll be hysterical.. how do I help him?

(12 Posts)
lborgia Thu 12-Nov-15 19:44:29

It's morning here, and this afternoon DS1 has to have a CT of his neck as they think he has a tumour in his neck.

3 years ago he had one in his ear and the whole process of having a canula put in his arm was so painful and scary for him that he absolutely lost it.

Since then he's become inconsolable when he's needed a blood test, and then 2 days ago they wanted to put a scope down his nose to look at the back of his throat. It was extremely unpleasant, made worse by DS1 cowering in the corner for 20 minutes refusing to let us near him...

He is an extremely rational mature boy (10yr) but obviouusly this has all bloody hurt, and the more upset he gets the more it hurts (both because of the tense muscles and because psychologically he's so terrified)..

We've tried EMLA patches (local anaesthetic) and it just didn't work. He has always said that local anaesthetic stings like crazy.

I though DH was coming with us this afternoon but there was obivously a mix up and he looked completely baffled and it's obvious he's not moving whatever it is at work that he's actually doing.

I was in bits on Tuesday after DS went to sleep, but I've had two other pieces of difficult news in the last 72 hours and am feeling wrung out. I don't want to let him down, and I don't know what to do.

SOrry, far too long, but if anyone has an idea, I'd be grateful.

lborgia Thu 12-Nov-15 19:46:26

Jsut to clarify, I'm in awe of how brave DS has been, and nothing he has done has "made it worse", he's just suffered enough. Cheers.

HardleyWorthit Thu 12-Nov-15 19:53:21

Oh you poor thing and poor ds.

I don't have anything helpful to add really but don't want to ignore.

Have you asked the doctor/nurse for advice? As they do the procedures frequently they may have some idea how to manage ds.

I hope all goes well.

ProbablyMe Thu 12-Nov-15 19:55:38

Have asked my DS4 who sadly is a veteran of many cannulas what he thinks. He says have they tried the cold spray? It comes as an aerosol and temporarily numbs the area - a bit like holding an ice cube on it? He doesn't have the numbing cream as it makes him itch.

Ask if there is a paediatric play assistant who can be present as they are experts at distraction. Also he says to get him to practice breathing slowly through his nose and out through his mouth (aim for a least a count of 5 for each).

He's 12 btw.

ProbablyMe Thu 12-Nov-15 19:56:49

Also see if your DS can look at a cannula without the needle in it as the flexible tube looks much less scary.

You have my sympathy. thanks

ProbablyMe Thu 12-Nov-15 20:01:08

Getting him to look at something that requires concentration helps too- here it's usually Where's Wally books! I think you get can apps of these for tablets/phones too.

I always explain - in suitable language - why something is being done too and ensure the medical staff do too. It is scary for children when they get talked about and not too, especially when they start to get older and can really pick up on stuff.

Sorry for all the posts!

lborgia Thu 12-Nov-15 20:01:34

It's being done at a radiology office (a bit like going to the dentist for comparison), and there won't be a play assistant, but I"ll check out the cold spray, thank you. At the moment he doesn't know about the contrast injection because I wouldn't be able to get him in the car.. but I'll keep that in mind when we get there.

Thanks Hardly too, it's a horrible feeling that I'm suppose to protect him and I feel as if I'm helping to make him so scared. TBF he's bounced back much better this time, but the scope thing didn't leave any lasting marks/pain. Yes, I'll call and speak to one of the radiographers.

I'm very close to cancelling tbh. Don't know how I think that will help!

lborgia Thu 12-Nov-15 20:05:15

Oh Probably all your posts are so supportive, thank you. THere is very little space between walking into the office and blind panic. I have always told him what's going on, and he has always had radar for crap smile.

Maybe I"ll go and talk to the GP...

Oldmum55 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:26:38

Oh Iborgia as a mother of 4 boys we have been through our share of unpleasant medical procedures. When they are little they are just scared but when they are older they are also fully aware. Sorry no practical suggestions just wanted to say thinking of you and your DS...

lborgia Thu 12-Nov-15 20:39:03

Thanks oldmum I appreciate you posting. It seems particularly hard that he's the really perceptive mind-whirring one. With DS2 He'd say "no", you'd offer him a bribe, he'd say "yes", cry and then ask for his present smile. Poor DS1 is the most fabulous child but he feels so much and thinks so much and also is huge so I can't even give him serious cuddles anymore (well I try, but it's mostly hugging part of a child!

I really was starting to think the surgery last year (follow up) was the last of it. Daft eh?

lborgia Fri 13-Nov-15 09:37:17

Bloody hell. .they didn't even use the contrast!!! obviously i am delighted we had an easy time of it, but aibu to want to hit someone? ! grin

Oldmum55 Fri 13-Nov-15 13:21:40

Glad it wasn't as bad as anticipated Iborgia As mums we would much rather have the procedures done instead of our kids. Hope your DS is feeling happier. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now