Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

hand foot and mouth

(7 Posts)
pinkie1982 Thu 12-Nov-15 09:55:46

Hi all.
I have a 23wo baby who was 6w prem.
Yesterday I met a friend and her son for a few hours for a cup of tea. Her son had a high temp the previous day and a restless night but was fine in the morning. (He is 3 years old). Late last night I had a message from her to say we had to take her son to hospital and they think he has hand foot and mouth disease. He kissed my son on his head once when he was leaving. I'm so hoping he hasn't been infected with this. we are going on a big family holiday on Monday with my in laws. Mil is poorly and on dialysis so couldn't afford to catch it either and my son has just got over two weeks of a viral infection so worried about how his immune system is low.
I know it takes 3-5 days for symptoms to show. Has anyone ever been in contact with HFM and not caught it??

TIA

foragogo Thu 12-Nov-15 10:05:42

Hmmmmm i thibk it mainly effects youbger children, which doesnt help you i know. We saw a family members baby on saturday recently who had been unwell and was just starting to get the spots. She was confirmed as having it on the Monday and my 4 year old started getting ill with it on the Tuesday. None of the adults or older children got it and wed all been in close contact with the baby.

It wasnt too bad really, like a mild version of chicken pox. However we are all fit and healthy, you might need to take advice about the kidney patient.

pinkie1982 Thu 12-Nov-15 11:44:26

If he does have it we will have to miss the holiday as staying in an apartment with a one year old and MIL won't go if he has it.
I'm really really hoping he doesn't get it! crossing all fingers and toes.
The boy had a red mark under his mouth yesterday but late last night he came out in big blisters all around his lips so his mum took him to hospital. This morning inside his
Mouth is covered too and he is in pain. Poor lad.

pinkie1982 Thu 12-Nov-15 11:45:44

I've found one small person exposed to it and not caught it so there is hope!

foragogo Thu 12-Nov-15 12:12:48

Hopefully you've just missed it if he didn't have any spots when you saw him. With us, the baby arrived with what we though was a weird rash and the spots were coming out while we were all together. it only seems to last about 4/5 days for the little boy, but again doesn't help you I know! Judging by our case I think you will know one way or the other by Sunday? my son got it only 2/3 days after spending time with the child that was just developing it and he first had a temperature on the Monday night, after the Saturday visit, so if you saw the little boy yesterday on Wednesday I would have thought you'd know by Sunday hopefully? Am not a doctor though.

pinkie1982 Fri 13-Nov-15 07:18:56

And we have spots

foragogo Fri 13-Nov-15 11:40:01

Oh drat. Can you check with gp whether he'll still be infectious on Monday as i reckon he'll be fling better by Monday if he spots have turned up on friday. I think the days after spots as peak of it for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now