Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cyclo test. Why might it be required, and what to expect?

(3 Posts)
MarvellousCake Mon 09-Nov-15 13:50:32

I am taking DD (6) for a follow up eye test tonight, which will be a cyclo test. She's had two eye tests at the opticians before - one about 2 years ago which she didn't co-operate with well (but no prescription deemed necessary), and one last week at which she seemed extremely co-operative. However, at the end of last week's test the optician said that DD is a bit long-sighted but she couldn't tell whether it required a prescription or not without doing the cyclo test as well. DD can read fluently and wouldn't have had difficulty identifying letters etc assuming of course that she could see them. The optician said her eyes were changing focus rapidly which was making it hard to test the normal way (does that make any sense?). I'm wondering whether DD might have been trying to 'fake' the test (ie by making her eyes blurry to try and get glasses), or whether it's common for children this age to need the extra test? From what I could see from a quick google, it seemed it would be more commonly used in younger children. How unpleasant are the eye drops likely to be? Would love to hear your experiences....

(I have never worn glasses).

dementedpixie Mon 09-Nov-15 15:54:44

My kids got the eye drops up to age 7/8 so not unusual in that age of child. The drops can sting a little and there is then a 20/30 minute wait for them to work (to dilate the pupils).

Using the drops mean they don't have to rely on the child's responses so a prescription is easier to determine.

MarvellousCake Mon 09-Nov-15 21:03:10

Ah thank you. Good to know it's fairly standard. Test went well. Glasses to be picked up next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now