Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

15 months old lost 330grams in 3 days!

(7 Posts)
summerdreams Sun 08-Nov-15 19:53:03

My son just spent the day in a&e for dehydration after a bad stomach bug he's had all weekend on friday he was weighed at an appointment he weighed 11.33kg today he is 11kg with ketones in urine. They of course managed to get him to drink luckily and he then produced his 1st wet nappy of the day so we were let home im now desperately trying to keep him drinking. My question is isnt that amount of weight loss concerning in just 3 days ?

summerdreams Sun 08-Nov-15 19:59:49

According to google thats 11 oz sad

Sweetpotatoaddict Sun 08-Nov-15 20:01:32

More for reassurance, my 11month went from 10.6kg to 10.2kg in a couple of days. He was admitted with dehydration, and sent home after 24 hours. Re admitted 3 days later, as he wasn't peeing his weight was then 9.5kg....... Discharged same day. He was rather bony by then.......

Some will be fluid loss, and probably an empty bowel too.
We're now 2 weeks later and he's 10.6kg again grin

Hope this reassures you about his weight loss, obviously if you're worried I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sun 08-Nov-15 20:04:54

If he was admitted with dehydration (and probably empty bowel) I'm not sure 300 g is that much at that age. The fact it is so fast is probably reassuring if anything.

summerdreams Sun 08-Nov-15 20:08:52

Yeh I was told dont hesitate to come back just was a bit shock when they weighed him and dr agreed it was a big weight loss in 72 hours. To be honest we're playing it hour by hour as his fluid intake is so little very worrying. Does help to know its not unheard of thanks and glad you little ones feeling better.

Sweetpotatoaddict Sun 08-Nov-15 20:16:54

It's awful when they're like that, I felt rather helpless. 5ml of fluid every 5 minute helped. I breastfeed so suddenly was giving little breastfeeds every 2 hours. Also tried ice lollies too. Each time he had something I willed it to stay down.
Hopefully he turns the corner soon summer

cestlavielife Thu 12-Nov-15 20:41:58

He s had a stomach bug so it s expected. ..if he lost weight without obvious reason then you worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now