Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3.6 year old and 80cm tall?

(21 Posts)
pomegranate1975 Sun 08-Nov-15 12:38:07

My nephew is 3.6 years old and is 80cm tall.
I am worried about him because he does not belong in the height chart.

Would you be worried about this height? IF yes how would you bring it up with his mother?

DextersMistress Sun 08-Nov-15 12:40:28

It depends, what height are his parents? I'm sure his mother will have noticed!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 08-Nov-15 12:45:15

Well there's not much his parents can do about his height, and I'm sure they know how tall he is.

pomegranate1975 Sun 08-Nov-15 12:46:40

His mum is 5 feet 3 and dad is 5 feet 9.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 08-Nov-15 12:47:17

Both pretty short then!

pomegranate1975 Sun 08-Nov-15 12:49:45

But his height is not even in the range of 1st percentile?

His height is way way way below the first percentile.

DextersMistress Sun 08-Nov-15 12:49:52

If his parents aren't tall then it's pretty likely he won't be either! I'm not sure what you'd expect them to do?

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 08-Nov-15 12:50:55

What do you think his parents could do if you raise it with them? Do you think they haven't noticed that he's small?

Wildernessrock Sun 08-Nov-15 12:52:04

That's the height of an average 1yo- I would thing something was wrong too.

anothernumberone Sun 08-Nov-15 12:53:08

My brother and my nephew were very short children. I don't think there is much to do except maybe buy shorter clothes for them. I am puzzled by your question what can his parents do? I presume he saw HVs and probably doctors along the way who were not concerned.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 08-Nov-15 12:53:39

Does he go to nursery? Do they engage with healthcare professionals? I would be surprised if his parents hadn't already noticed that he's smaller than the average 3 year old.

Want2bSupermum Sun 08-Nov-15 12:54:57

Yes you should be concerned and the GP should be looking at potential GI issues. A mother I exercise with is going through this with her son. Turned out he has celiac disease as well as a host of other allergies. They have changed his diet plus he is on medication and he is now growing.

pomegranate1975 Sun 08-Nov-15 12:55:30

This is the height chart.

www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/childhood/parents/mch/mchgrowthbmiboy18yrs.pdf

Bogburglar99 Sun 08-Nov-15 12:56:31

Are you sure his height is correct and that you're reading the chart right? DD has always been around the 9th centile, sometimes a little below, and is absolutely fine - a healthy little competitive gymnast smile

But if he is really below the 1st centile I think a visit to the Drs would be in order. Below the 2nd centile is when they like to double check stuff I think.

But do be sure you have his height correct - a few cms can make a lot of difference at the bottom end between 'small but okay' and 'needs checking out'.

How's his weight?

pomegranate1975 Sun 08-Nov-15 13:01:33

His weight is 10kilos.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 08-Nov-15 13:47:13

How do you know his height and weight? Have you measured him yourself or have his parents told you?

Bogburglar99 Sun 08-Nov-15 14:07:33

This is quite a useful set of guidelines that go with the U.K growth charts (are you in Aus if using Aussie ones?)

They say no measurement indicates a problem by itself, but only 1 in 250 kids will be below the 0.4th centile, so these children should be assessed further.

It also shows you how to do the mid parental centile, to work out (very) roughly where you'd expect him to be based on parental heights. That has him at 25th-50th centile so again a discrepancy.

I think his parents have to make the decision to get him checked though. If you want to gently suggest anything I would think a trip to the GP or health visitor to get him properly measured would be Step 1.

Bogburglar99 Sun 08-Nov-15 14:07:54

Oops sorry. Link

www.rcpch.ac.uk/system/files/protected/page/2-18%20Fact_sheet_v8.pdf

Pythonesque Mon 09-Nov-15 10:51:00

Children with growth hormone deficiencies, for example, classically present at around this age. Earlier their growth is driven more by other factors, then starts to tail off. Depending on how close you are, I would just gently ask if his growth has been looked at recently. They may say it is in process - it isn't a rush to do something just as long as it is being looked into. Depending on actual measurements a period of watching with accurate measurements could be helpful. If they haven't taken him to the GP about it then encourage them to do so, because yes it does sound like he's at a stage where some basic investigations are appropriate.

cestlavielife Mon 09-Nov-15 22:21:09

My dd was same she got diagnosed coeliac
But she was weak and sick

If he gets referred they will monitor for six months to see growth rate. Suggest they get him referred to growth clinic for monitoring.

hazeyjane Mon 09-Nov-15 22:30:51

Yes he should be referred for monitoring if that is his correct height.

It can be very difficult to measure a child's height accurately, so the first appointment, is taking correct measurements, in order to monitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now