Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fixed brace misery - help please!

(12 Posts)
SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Sun 08-Nov-15 11:09:49

Dd (14) had a fixed brace fitted on Friday - it's generally tight and not much fun, but she can cope with this. The problem is a long bit of wire at the back is constantly gouging at her cheek, and she cannot get wax onto it, or when she can, it comes straight off! I'm hoping I can get her in for an appt tomorrow, but does anyone have any tips for us to make today less miserable?

Please share your wisdom in this if you have any - the day ahead is looming very long!

foragogo Sun 08-Nov-15 11:19:22

Ive got fixed braces on at the moment (fastbbraces) and can categorically state that this should not be hapenning. The dentist has left a long stray bit which should be clipped asap tomorrow. This hapenned to me aftrr one of my appointments and it was fine once i went back and had it clipped. It has also heppenned again on Friday at one of my later appointments and yesterday i used tweezers to twist it round under the post out of the way a bit and this morning i cant feel it. Might be worth a go?

foragogo Sun 08-Nov-15 11:21:22

Also tell her the tightness feels much better after a couple of days and apart from the 2 buts of poky wire i have had no pain or discomfort at all after the initial fitting day and a bitbof sensitivity on the days when they tighten it. Itvgets much better and will be fine once you or the denstist get that bit if wire sorted.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Sun 08-Nov-15 11:21:57

Thanks foragogo - I've thought about trying tweezers, if I could only get to the bloody thing: but I'm a bit worried I might just make things worse!

Barbie1 Sun 08-Nov-15 11:24:03

Fixed brace wearing here too...the dentist left the wire too long, I agree is pure hell sad

Bonjela will help and also try to hear the wax with a hair dryer to make it a little more workable

foragogo Sun 08-Nov-15 11:24:55

I know, alternative is to wait it out until tomorrow and be at the dentist at 8, will take him or her seconds to sort it. In the meantime it will be absolute torture though. Maybe you could just bend it sideways a bit out of the way and get them to clip it tomorrow?

LIZS Sun 08-Nov-15 11:28:15

I would go for an emergency braces appointment tomorrow. Who fitted it? Ds has his done at regional hospital and not once has needed even wax. They are so thorough to trim properly and check.

Mrsmorton Sun 08-Nov-15 11:33:06

The teeth move pretty quickly and that's why the wire is sticking out. It's easy enough to snip off but you need a special snipper which catches the bit.

Love that the default is to blame the dentist smile when it's just the brace doing its job.

You could snip it with nail clippers but it's a bit tricky.

Barbie1 Sun 08-Nov-15 11:33:18

heat the wax

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Sun 08-Nov-15 11:33:42

Lizs Dd1 had hers done at the hospital and didn't have this, but this time round we're at a smaller practice: not sure why! I'll be there first thing tomorrow for sure, but I'm really hoping we can make the intervening period a bit more bearable!

Good tip re the hairdryer - thank you! Apparently the wax just pings off because the wire is sticking out so much there's nothing to stick it onto. Fucking charlatan orthodontist: I knew he was a wrong 'un when he was arsey with his assistant!

foragogo Sun 08-Nov-15 11:41:06

I was given wax but never needed to use it. Should there really be such a large piece sticking out already? My impression is that it either needs to be wound round once more or shoukd have been snipped off. The bit that was bugging me the first time was very short but very sharp, he justbfiled it down i think. This time it was much longer and i coukd see it (i am on last appt so shoudnt be too much teeth movement?) So I just tucked it under the post with tweezers. Dont think ill even need to bother going back to the dentist. Can she feel it or move it with her tongue maybe?

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Sun 08-Nov-15 11:43:20

I should just say though that my usual default wouldn't be to blame the dentist, and MrsM I appreciate this might be irritating. But it does seem from extensive googling as though there shouldn't be this extent of spare wire, and I can't help feeling that he might have trimmed it a little better, as it's been hurting her since (sod's law) she got it fitted at 3pm on Friday and it's been digging in since 5pm on Friday when the dentist closes wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now