Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ventilated babies prone to coughs?

(7 Posts)
icclemunchy Sat 07-Nov-15 14:15:00

DD2 is now 10months old, she was born at 35 weeks and was ventilated after a traumatic birth. She remained on the ventilator for 24hours then got an infection after 20hours off it and ended up on cpap for 5 days. She came home after 2.5 weeks in NICU with no issues.

However she's now on her 5th chesty cough since she came home. First time we ended up in out of hours after a prolonged coughing fit and we were brushed off as she had the 'snuffles' so we hav t seen anyone about it since then.

I can't help wondering if it's related to bring ventilated? And if I should see the GP/get it followed up. Or is she just unlucky?!

TheHouseOnTheLane Sat 07-Nov-15 14:22:28

A repeated cough can be a sign of asthma OP. BEst take her to the GP and tell them everything.x

icclemunchy Sat 07-Nov-15 16:12:39

Oh I didn't know that, she usually gets a low grade temp with it (38-38.5ish) if that makes and diff. I think I'll make a Drs appointment after the weekend either way just. Wondered how insistent I need to be confused

madwomanbackintheattic Sat 07-Nov-15 16:21:44

Dd2 had series of chest infections as a baby and toddler, but in her case they were caused by aspiration. So, sort of linked to the reasons she was on the vent and then a couple of weeks of O2 after birth, but not specifically caused 'by' it, iykwim.

The sensible doc eventually gave us a rolling prescription for ab that we could get made up any time we felt a chest infection was brewing, to save us trying to fight for an appointment to get the prescription iykwim.

Dd2 not a cougher though (for the same reasons lol) but definite aspirations and chest infections. She grew out of this around school age, possibly slightly later, 6 or 7?

Ds1 on the other hand, had RSV at 10 weeks, including a lengthy period of being nebulised five times a day, and we were warned that this early infection might lead to a higher chance of asthma etc. he had a few chest infections as a baby and toddler afterwards, and we did have a couple of inhalers and spacer tubes, which we used periodically as required, not routinely, but he didn't ever develop asthma proper.

madwomanbackintheattic Sat 07-Nov-15 16:26:49

<should have said, RSV that had caused double pneumonia. We only found out as we took him to gp as he had lost his 'voice' - silent crying - and because of his age and the fact he was running a slightly raised temp, they did a chest x Ray which showed both lungs affected>

I don't mess around with lungs and babies any more as a result. He seemed otherwise fine, and I thought the GP was being v over-zealous to send us to a&e for immediate chest x ray - she couldn't hear anything concerning with the stethoscope, but wanted to be safe. Good job too.

Eva50 Sat 07-Nov-15 17:00:44

Ds3 (9) wasn't ventilated but had cpap and a chest drain in NHDU. He had croup a lot as a baby and even now gets a dreadful cough with every sniffle. It has definitely improved over the years and I don't know whether it's related or not.

icclemunchy Sat 07-Nov-15 18:05:52

Interesting madwoman as one of the reasons we were dismissed was he couldn't hear anything on her chest. Think I'll push the dr to actually look into in as 5 in 10 months seems an awful lot for such a little one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now