Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Faecal incontinence

(10 Posts)
EverythingsDozy Fri 06-Nov-15 22:41:14

I've posted this in potty training to but I'm desperate for help!
My daughter has just turned 5, started reception in September. Since summer she's had marks in her knickers but once school started it got a whole lot worse. She's been having massive poos in her knickers. Doctor told me she was constipated and it's overflow so she has been prescribed movicol. She seems to be going to the toilet fine but still having accidents in the knickers (4 today, 1 at school, big mess, all over toilet and DD) . What am I meant to do? How long will this go on?? Has the movicol kicked in? How will I know when the main bit of constipation has gone? And what happens after? I'm so confused, I have no idea what I'm doing!!

DriverSurpriseMe Fri 06-Nov-15 22:46:11

I don't have direct experience with encopresis (constipation + soiling) but lots with Movicol.

One thing that seems strange is that she's doing large poos in her pants. Encopresis is usually when smaller amounts of liquid poo leak out around a blockage. If she's having large bowel movements then I'd be inclined to think there's no major blockage.

Could it just be that she hates using the school toilets and is trying, but failing, to hold it in?

I think you need to find out more about whether her bowels are blocked or not. Did the GP feel her tummy? She could also be referred for an x ray to get a really good look.

EverythingsDozy Fri 06-Nov-15 22:56:29

Thanks for the reply. Two doctors checked her tummy and said she was constipated. Sometimes it's just a little bit of watery stools but there have been the odd time where it's been more like soft (but still solid) stool but she just hasn't gone to the toilet. I am still unsure on whether it is overflow or just her being lazy.
Her teacher is aware of the situation and has said that she will go to the toilet so I don't think its that. I've just no idea what it is.

Foamshrimp Fri 06-Nov-15 23:00:42

Have you tried making her try to go twice a day at regular times?

customercare Fri 06-Nov-15 23:08:49

Does she complain of tummy aches? Could it be diet related; could she be lactose intolerant?

EverythingsDozy Fri 06-Nov-15 23:14:51

She just goes when she needs to. I have no idea when she goes at school. She is definitely going and her stools look normal, but we're still getting this overflow in the knickers.
No tummy aches and we don't have that much milk as DS is milk/soya intolerant. Occasionally has cheese and milk at school though.

Foamshrimp Sat 07-Nov-15 20:43:25

I have read that regular times for going to toilet.can help. Worth a try. Will only work if problem is psychological rather than physical I guess.

3littlefrogs Sat 07-Nov-15 20:48:38

Have you read the information on the ERIC website?

You might get some ideas/answers from there.

customercare Sun 08-Nov-15 13:36:52

Do you have an incontinence clinic nearby? Might be worth a phone call.

EverythingsDozy Sun 08-Nov-15 22:22:43

My friend suggested going back to the doctors in a week or so if things havent improved and ask them to refer to the incontinence clinic.
She has gone all day without an accident today though, so fingers crossed we're on the right track!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: