Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

reduced airway and nasel spray

(5 Posts)
nearlyreadytopop Fri 06-Nov-15 19:38:08

DS has always been a drooler. We had an ent appointment four months ago and we found he has a restricted nasal airway because if inflammation of the membranes, andenoids and a tongue tie. The consultant gave us some nasel spray to try for 3 months and arranged for a swallow analysis.
We are due to see the consultant again next week but the problem is the nasel spray. DS hates it, he has to be held down by dh while I give it. He screams and cries. He is asthmatic and has serious allergies so is used to taking medicine and through example, explanation and role play with his teddy we have always managed it. Until now and this horrible spray. It was so traumatic for him that I stopped using it and now I'm worried about what the consultant will say/do?
Have I done the wrong thing?

MotiSen Sat 07-Nov-15 03:36:54

My 10 yo DS won't do the nasal sprays either. They say it feels like drowning. Try the nasal spray on yourself, and you might understand why your DS won't take it. I tried it, and it gives a weird taste at the back of the throat, somehow. I am just hoping my DS outgrows the ~constant nasal congestion. Supposedly, he'll 'grow' into his adenoids during the teenage years. I think the consultant will understand.

irvine101 Sat 07-Nov-15 08:33:13

My ds has lots of medication everyday, but hated nasal spray as well.
He screamed and cried but some how we ended up doing the course.
Now his condition has improved and he is having definitely better health.

I'm sure consultant would understand, but like my ds, sometimes, short term traumatic experience can mean long term result.

I 'm not trying to be mean , I can understand your situation. I hope it gets better for your DC. Good luck.

nearlyreadytopop Sat 07-Nov-15 20:03:22

Thank you both for replying. I did use it on myself and it was awful. I just couldn't bring myself to force it on him twice a day.
I do understand what you mean about it giving a better result in the long term.
The consultant did say if it didn't work he would do some sort of electric treatment of the membranes at the same time as removing the adenoids and sorting out the tongue tie.

Must stop beating myself up over not using the spray.
Thanks again for advice

irvine101 Sat 07-Nov-15 20:09:29

Sorry, don't beat yourself up over something like this.
I think I'm a bit tougher than most mums, since my child was in and out of hospital since birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now