Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

K wire removal

(6 Posts)
LakeFlyPie Thu 05-Nov-15 23:14:32

DS (7) is due to have 2 wires removed from his radius next week (having been in cast for 6 weeks). Apparently they just 'pull them' in clinic, Dr has suggested it'll be unpleasant but quick.
Having canvassed opinion from school friends and a couple of nurses views vary from 'it'll be fine' to 'insist on general anaesthetic or gas and air at least' (that was the nurses advice).
Both DS and I are pretty squeamish, any advice gratefully received

whitershadeofpale Thu 05-Nov-15 23:19:18

I had 2 removed from my foot recently. It was grim but over quickly, I took a couple of ibruprofen 1/2 hour before. I'd recommend talking and distracting him while they do it.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 05-Nov-15 23:21:25

DH had this done recently. Said it wasn't as bad as feared, and his were stuck and back up had to be called in!

LakeFlyPie Thu 05-Nov-15 23:32:38

Thanks for your replies, reassuring. Pre med with calpol and ibuprofen, lollies on hand and distraction will be employed.
whitershadeofpale is what I'll begrin

dratsea Thu 05-Nov-15 23:45:51

After 6 weeks in a 7yr old will almost fall out of the bone. Sometimes the skin at point of entry can be tender, a dab of EMLA left in place for an hour will "freeze" that. If you made any friends on the paediatric ward you try calling in there on the way to OPD.

LakeFlyPie Thu 05-Nov-15 23:52:42

Practically falling out sounds better than the grinding / tugging I made the mistake of watching on you tube!
Not sure if there'll be time for EMLA as think the wires will come out pretty soon after cast is removed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now