Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Best food choices for after op?

(5 Posts)
brimmond2 Wed 04-Nov-15 11:46:48

My son is having his tonsils out next week, he is 4. Just looking for any advice/tips re what to give him to eat/drink after the op. I know advice on what to give has changed over the past few years.. Thanks in advance.

Jeffreythegiraffe Wed 04-Nov-15 16:00:11

Normal diet.

It used to be soft foods and then it used to be hard foods. Now we just say normal diet, even little and often is fine as long as they're eating an drinking. You'll need to give regular pain relief at home too.

brimmond2 Wed 04-Nov-15 18:19:39

Thank you so much for your advice Jeffrey. You sound like you know what your talking about there, have you been through it yourself? Had also read that giving ibuprofen can encourage post op bleed, any truth in that ? Many thanks again.

Jeffreythegiraffe Wed 04-Nov-15 20:26:04

No but I look after children that have. Every hospital I've worked in, we've given ibuprofen regularly for post op tonsils. That and regular paracetamol and oral morphine (codeine isn't given anymore). And then you get paracetamol and ibuprofen to go home with which you'll need to give regularly for at least a week so I would stock up before hand!

brimmond2 Wed 04-Nov-15 22:07:19

ahh i did wonder...
oh yes have stocked up. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now