Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can I have some advice about rash around dd's mouth please?

(9 Posts)
ChuckyDuck Tue 03-Nov-15 16:05:44

She's had this for a while and its gradually getting worse. I took her to GP about it who prescribed her treatment for oral thrush but she's finished the course and it didn't help.

I asked a pharmacist for their advice and she said it looks like an allergic reaction, to try piriton which I did and it did ease it for a while. It didn't totally go though and was back looking angry this morning.

Has anyone had experience with this? She has had allergy testing for her asthma and that didn't show anything, I think they just test for dust, pollen etc though rather than food allergies.

Its quite sore and when she drools it aggravates it even more, as do baby wipes so have just been using a soft flannel with water to clean her face.

smearedinfood Tue 03-Nov-15 16:55:19

My DS who's 1 has a bit of this, I'm just in process of changing GPs to one who is a little closer and I took him to pharmacist who suggested Cetraben cream as a barrier. DS has had a snotty cold and with the cold weather it's helped having a barrier cream on there.

ChuckyDuck Tue 03-Nov-15 17:44:58

Thanks I'll try some of that too. Was concerned as noticed it was spreading under her eyes too and she just looks really run down, bloody weather! Will make another appointment with her GP. Hope your ds is better now smile

christinarossetti Tue 03-Nov-15 17:49:10

My dd had something that looked like this under her top lip last winter. It itched, so she licked it and made it worse.

I used Cymex twice daily with vaseline as a barrier cream and that eventually got rid of it.

Icyblue Wed 04-Nov-15 15:29:02

Could be perioral dermatitis if the rash is around the mouth and eye areas. Can treat with Fucidin and try to avoid SLS in toothpaste.

magicpuppy Wed 04-Nov-15 15:31:45

Does she take her asthma medication through a mask? I ask because dd aged 9 has something similar but not as severe. She has asthma and we were using the aerochamber with mask and I have just changed to the one with mouthpiece in case this was a factor.

The pharmacist agreed it was a possibility. She also gave me a vitamin tonic for her.

ChuckyDuck Thu 05-Nov-15 23:06:16

Thanks for suggestions will look into those and see what to try next. She does use a spacer and mask, so could be that irritating her but she's only 3 so needs it for the time being.

It actually looks less angry today, but starting to get chapped as she's licking it when its irritating her, been using a barrier cream but will look into the creams mentioned above. Thanks again smile

irvine101 Fri 06-Nov-15 00:00:32

My Ds used to get it when he was younger. It was food allergy, but also he can get it from runny nose(upper lip). In both cases, he was reacting to the substance around his mouth.
He still get it sometimes(not as bad, since he's on antihistamine everyday) , but weak steroid cream normally sort it out quickly.
We had same problem when he was a baby, that GP prescribed cream for thrush, but it was a complete misdiagnosis!!! It just keep getting worse and finally he was diagnosed with multiple allergies.
I really think you should get referred for allergy testing. Allergy seems to be a really complex thing, sometimes test doesn't say you are allergic to it, but you can still be sensitive to it. Barrier cream will definitely help.
My ds doesn't show allergy for milk in both blood test and skin prick test, but he has reactions few days later. And his Allergy consultant still treat this as one of his allergen.

Tarrarra Fri 06-Nov-15 00:18:17

Ds used to get a rash like that from dribbling and having a dummy. I seem to remember the doctor prescribed a hydrocortisone cream which cleared it up. Worth asking your gp maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now