Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

BF mums with reflux or silent reflux babies...

(7 Posts)
NewBallsPlease00 Sun 01-Nov-15 23:23:14

Is there anything you ate which made issue worse and therefore reduced and improved when you avoided?
I've just started dairy free but it's too early to tell if there is any benefit
Also voiding spices, beans and broccoli due to wind, added to which I'm already 90% gluten free I'm starting to run out of foods but guy feel is there is something I'm eating making it worse... Any triggers for you?
Thanks

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 02-Nov-15 10:10:44

Bump

Coffeemorris Thu 05-Nov-15 11:01:40

Coffee even decaf, chocolate, onions, anything with a strong odour!!

Micah Thu 05-Nov-15 11:05:28

Nothing.

What's the logic anyway? Reflux is caused by immaturity of the ring of muscle around the top of the stomach- it isn't strong enough to close tightly enough hold the milk/food down.

Nothing you eat or don't eat will change that. Best approaches are medication, and positioning.

Chchchchangeabout Thu 05-Nov-15 11:10:37

Yes I stopped eating dairy and it went away. Took a couple of weeks for it to get out of my system. Turned out baby had cows milk protein allergy (now older and has grown out of it).

Coffeemorris Thu 05-Nov-15 11:26:17

But babies with reflux who are old enough to eat solids are advised to avoid certain foods eg spices etc. So wouldn't it make sense for breastfeeding mothers to avoid the same, as traces can be passed through the milk?
I read recently that an allergy to cow's milk can exacerbate reflux.

Micah Thu 05-Nov-15 11:28:54

But babies with reflux who are old enough to eat solids are advised to avoid certain foods eg spices etc

Are they? I was never told that, and mine was under paeds for 14m for her severe reflux. Not something I came across in my extensive googling either. It was 5 years ago though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now