Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Constipated baby

(9 Posts)
FondantFancy66 Sun 01-Nov-15 20:03:30

DS2 (8 weeks nearly) has been prescribed Gaviscon for reflux and it's made him horrendously constipated this weekend. The poor little guy is so uncomfortable. We'll be off to the doctor tomorrow, but any tips to try and give him some relief? I've tried clockwise massage on his tummy and bicycling his legs. Any other things that might work? He's mix fed and has seemed very hungry too, so is taking more milk. But surely that makes it worse? More going in means more needs to come out?

angelacameron Sun 01-Nov-15 20:11:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FondantFancy66 Sun 01-Nov-15 21:16:45

Never heard of that. A quick google suggests it's difficult to buy in the uk. Any recommendations as to where it might be available?

CheeseCakeOfDreams Sun 01-Nov-15 21:19:15

Try offering cooled boiled water.

GlitteryFluff Sun 01-Nov-15 21:21:36

I agree with cool boiled water, that's what HV advised me when 6 week old ds hadn't pood for 5 days, though wasn't in pain/trying to poo just hadn't done any. She wasn't concerned and said only give 10mls, then 12hours later (if no movement) another 10ml.

FondantFancy66 Sun 01-Nov-15 21:23:15

Cool Boiled water sounds easier, might give that a go when he next wakes. He's so exhausted he's finally dropped off thankfully.

somewhatavoidant Sun 01-Nov-15 21:35:55

Brown sugar in water always worked for me.

Jeffreythegiraffe Sun 01-Nov-15 22:33:50

Cool boiled water with a drop of orange juice was recommended to me, or lactulose from the GP. My DS got so constipated we changed from Gaviscon to ranitidine for reflux.

Ignore the magic tea poster, they're dragging up every thread possible.

BearFoxBear Sun 01-Nov-15 22:40:43

Fennel tea works too. My gp won't prescribe gaviscon for reflux for this reason and put ds straight on to ranitidine which worked straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now