Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is your child on chemo?

(6 Posts)
madmotherof2 Sun 01-Nov-15 14:07:41

Hi,

I've had a look and can't find a thread for parents with children on chemo? So I thought I'd start one!

My nearly 7 year old had his 7th dose of chemo on Wednesday. He's on a three week cycle of Carboplatin and Vincristine, the course will take 18 months.

He was diagnosed with an optic nerve glioma just over a year ago. It's a Low grade tumour so initially we were on a watch and wait plan, things changed when growth was spotted on MRI in August.

The last month or so have been pretty up and down, we've had long phases of Neutropenia, A platelets transfusion and he's actually currently laid on a hospital bed having a blood transfusion ( I'm sooo bored, he's happy watching a film!). His hair has been falling out for the last couple of weeks, but seems to just be thinning at the moment.

Anyone out there?! Fancy swapping stories?!

Owllady Sun 01-Nov-15 14:16:54

Hello, I don't have a child having chemo but I've just spent time in hospital with my dd who's recovering from scoliosis correction surgery. Do you know how long you'll be in? Have you got anything to occupy you?
I found being in hospital very hard. I hope you are okay x

Stinkyfeet Sun 01-Nov-15 14:42:42

Hi mad, there is a Children with Cancer thread in the Children's Health topic, although I'm not sure how much it is posted on these days.

I hope your son's treatment goes well. I remember the hours and hours spent at hospital well, so hope you have enough to keep you occupied!

Trazzletoes Wed 04-Nov-15 06:47:37

Hi madmother there definitely used to be a Children with Cancer thread...

My son had high risk neuroblastoma a few years ago. Chemo sucks. I'm sorry you are going through this. Where is he being treated? (We are in Leeds). I hope your DS is feeling ok and not being too sick. Big hugs. This is a lonely world x

Trazzletoes Wed 04-Nov-15 06:52:46

It's here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/2011666-Children-with-Cancer?msgid=57405229#57405229

madmotherof2 Wed 04-Nov-15 08:19:24

Thank you Trazzletoes!

He's doing ok, sickness not been too bad ( as long as we keep on top of the anti sickness meds!). He's being treated at Southampton

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now