Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Are these infected??

(19 Posts)
brimmond2 Fri 30-Oct-15 16:38:08

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Fri 30-Oct-15 16:40:39

Looks infected to me - they're massive! I think go the GP about that.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Fri 30-Oct-15 16:41:12

Pretty urgently, as well.

greenhill Fri 30-Oct-15 16:43:32

They're enormous, that needs looking at by a HCP.

brimmond2 Fri 30-Oct-15 16:52:34

Thank you guys. My son is having his tonsils & adenoids removed on 11th Nov. postponed 5wks ago due to cough. We were gutted but obv went with advice given... yeh they are huge, it's been a nightmare for the past 2 yrs. I just wondered if they were infected. My son is not complaining of a sore throat at all but gets ulcers & has bad breath, so just wondered. The tonsils are quite pitted & veiny, not very nice to look at. My son has never had tonsillitis but suffers from constant bunged up nose, clearing of throat & sleep apnea, scary stuff. So glad they are coming out, dreading it tho. He is off nursery as won't risk him catching anything else. Developed cough after Hand foot & mouth caught from his nursery, nightmare.
The
And you again for advice xx

GloGirl Fri 30-Oct-15 18:29:59

Huge!!! I thought tonsillitis requiring antibiotics was if there were white spots indicating bacterial tonsillitis.

Not saying your DS doesn't need medical attention though. Poor thing flowers

brimmond2 Fri 30-Oct-15 18:52:39

Yeh glogirl, my son has never required antibiotics as he has never had tonsillitis. They,re only removing his tonsils/adenoids due to their size.

LunchpackOfNotreDame Fri 30-Oct-15 21:10:38

Huge and probably infected but not necessarily bacterial unless they have the white spots

brimmond2 Fri 30-Oct-15 21:13:30

Ahh so they could still be infected even tho they are not sore & don't have white spots?, interesting. They are certainly huge, very veiny & pitted looking.

LunchpackOfNotreDame Fri 30-Oct-15 21:16:04

Yup. You can get viral tonsillitis. I have a dc who has one enormous tonsil that comes out to half way that goes bright red and engorged when they have a virus. Nothing you can do but wait it out and if they have issues with their breathing then straight to hospital

LunchpackOfNotreDame Fri 30-Oct-15 21:18:53

I would say if he's well in himself and the rest of his throat is a normal colour then they're not infected virally or otherwise

Sidge Fri 30-Oct-15 21:34:33

They don't look infected to me. Enlarged, but I can't see any pus. Our criteria for giving antibiotics for tonsillitis is if there is fever, visible pus flecks and pain.

If he's not got a temperature and can eat and drink then I wouldn't be overly concerned. Hopefully he'll be shot of them soon!

KittyandSqueal Fri 30-Oct-15 21:42:07

Holy crap, I had a good few moments of thinking 'how does mother let teeth get in that state, they don't look right at all' then I realised they're his tonsils!

Docs asap I'd say

bigfam Sat 31-Oct-15 05:33:05

Dd1 was just diagnosed with tonsillitis yesterday afternoon, she's really ill with it, very high temp and is struggling to breath, can't talk at all. Has been given antibiotics.
Did you opt to have your ds' tonsils removed?

brimmond2 Sat 31-Oct-15 10:05:27

Yeh bigfam, we actually got revered after Dr,s appt at the start of the year. As soon as the consultant saw my sons tonsils, he said they had to come out & the adenoids. Although my son doesn't suffer with tonsillitis, the size of them causes other problems. He has a fear of eating anything chunky, isn't gaining weight, hasn't done for months. Also he has sleep apnea so constantly wakes himself up through the night. His nose is blocked all the time. I have to sleep next to him so that he can be turned onto his side. Dreading op a week on Wed but it has to be done. Hoping he,ll be a different boy after having them out. That's awful your daughter is so poorly, are her tonsils big? How does she sleep? Bunged up nose? Might be worth asking for a referral just to get a consultants opinion. Hope she feels better soon.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 31-Oct-15 10:07:29

Could his bad breath be tonsil stones?

bigfam Sat 31-Oct-15 10:35:45

Your poor ds, hopefully it will all be resolved after the op.
Her tonsils aren't overly large, but she's struggling to breath and at night sounds like a train. She's got three bottles of penicillin to get through, no blocked nose. Sometimes she coughs though and gets so out of breath and panics, and puts the fan in front of her face as she says she feels like she's not getting enough air, horrible to watch. sad

brimmond2 Sat 31-Oct-15 13:03:55

Goodness that sounds awful, very worrying for you I,m sure. Have they done tests to investigate why your daughter gets so out of breath, is it only during the night? Although her tonsils aren't big, it could be her adenoids. These can swell after having a virus & sometimes don't shrink again. The fact she,s noisy through the night sounds like it could be her adenoids. You could try a humidifier at night, that may help her. Poor toot, hope she gets better sn & you get some answers.

bigfam Sat 31-Oct-15 13:12:38

No, i assume they took a swab though, as she's been given three bottles of penicillin, the gp said if we'd have left it any longer she probably would have been in hospital, it only started thursday with a little bit of a sore throat, then by friday afternoon it had gotten so bad.
Hope your lo improves after his op

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: