Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Could this be a food intolerance?

(20 Posts)
longdiling Sun 25-Oct-15 20:10:52

Over the last month or so my DS has developed an increasingly painful tummy - especially in the evenings. He describes it as being gurgly and needing a poo but not being able to go. He isn't constipated though as he manages to go most days at least once. He isn't sick and doesn't have diarrhoea He gets very upset by it though.

He's also had lots of aches in his legs and been quite mucousy - coughing up phlegm regularly. In the last week he's developed infections in a toe and finger nail.

I've been to the GP twice in the last couple of weeks - once about the aches and pains in his legs and then the infected nail. I'm thinking of taking him back tomorrow though to talk about all of the 'symptoms' and seeing if they may be linked? I was wondering about some kind of food intolerance?

WildStallions Sun 25-Oct-15 20:12:15

Could be.

Could be lots of things - but I'd look closely at gluten and dairy first.

minimalist000001 Sun 25-Oct-15 20:14:17

Gluten dairy maybe?

hugsarealwaysneededhere1 Sun 25-Oct-15 21:37:15

Sounds more like an infection - go to your gp and get some blood done.

longdiling Tue 27-Oct-15 21:22:32

Thanks all. Got an appointment tomorrow and the Dr has talked about doing a blood test to check for a wheat intolerance. Don't think it could be dairy as he actually eats very little dairy; he doesn't like milk, cheese, butter and rarely eats yogurt.

WildStallions Tue 27-Oct-15 23:57:13

Great that she's testing for wheat intolerance.

The fact he doesn't like all those things could be because he's intolerant of dairy.

Cutting dairy out totally would involve reading all the labels on everything.

If you are asked to cut out wheat I'd probably cut both dairy and wheat out at the same time.

longdiling Thu 29-Oct-15 07:08:46

Well she didn't end up testing for a wheat intolerance. She seems to think he has proctalgia fulgax and has given him a ventolin pump which is supposed to relieve the symptoms immediately. I'm not convinced as the pain he feels is in his tummy not his bum! We used the pump last night and if anything he's worse.

I'm debating trying strict dairy free for a couple of weeks as it won't make much difference to him

cestlavielife Thu 29-Oct-15 08:59:17

Ask for a coeliac screen blood test. Don't take gluten out until after test

longdiling Thu 29-Oct-15 09:20:18

Thanks. I think thats what we'll be doing next week once we've given the ventolin a proper go. I'm not sure it's anything as serious as coeliac because he seems happy and isn't losing weight or anything but it's worth investigating.

WildStallions Thu 29-Oct-15 09:54:53

This is where it gets tricky. Lots of people have an intolerance to gluten - 'gluten sensitivity' without actually having celiac disease.

celiac.org/celiac-disease/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/

So a negative test for celiac does not necessarily mean he can handle gluten fine.

Snert26 Sat 31-Oct-15 00:01:18

im intereasted in this post because my daughter (12yrs) the last 5 weeks been off school with raging belly ache and constant diarrhea every evening but in my daughters case she has now lost alot of weight and looks very white ..we are waiting for blood tests to come back which should of been today but not back yet.

Blondie1984 Sat 31-Oct-15 00:21:14

Keep a food diary and see if there are any patterns

sooperdooper Sat 31-Oct-15 00:28:00

Food diary is a much easier way to diagnose a food intolerance - I know you said he doesn't eat a lot of dairy anyway but the symptoms don't sound like a dairy intolerance to me - from experience it causes you to very much need the toilet and have to go, not just feel the need sad

WildStallions Sat 31-Oct-15 05:24:18

Food diaries are not the best way!

Because some symptoms caused by intolerances don't happen x hours after eating the food.

If you have a digestive problem peptides from undigested gluten (which could be causing these problems) can stay in your body for months!

An elimination diet, which you stay on for a while, is the way to go if you're not getting a blood test done.

longdiling Sat 31-Oct-15 18:24:57

Oh gosh Snert, that sounds really rough. I hope you get some answers soon so she can start to get better. DS is nothing like as bad.

Snert26 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:02:41

thanks longdiling , blood tests are in daughter is still the same this is week 6 but celiac diesease test was negaive to my knowledge they never tested for dairy products. tests have shown abnormal results for her immune system and liver. she is being refured to peadatric dr at hospital for further investigation but at the moment my daughter is suspected of having a reflux problem which is causing the chronic stomach ache etc.

Snert26 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:11:49

how are you getting on longdiling?

longdiling Tue 03-Nov-15 12:43:28

Oh bless her, poor kid. I hope they can get it under control soon for her. He seems a little better actually, I'm beginning to wonder if it was just a weird tummy bug of some sort. Thanks for asking!

Snert26 Tue 03-Nov-15 15:58:13

oh good fingers crossed for you.

Snert26 Wed 25-Nov-15 13:04:52

How are you getting on now Longdiling?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now