Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Circumcision aftercare help needed.

(16 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Sun 25-Oct-15 08:26:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dratsea Sun 25-Oct-15 08:48:48

At 4 the skin between the glans and prepuce has not yet formed. So poor thing has what is effectively a second degree burn, I would expect it to look a little swollen. Should he have any problem weeing it sometimes help to put them in a bath and let them wee in the bath. Hope that helps.

Beeswax2017 Sun 25-Oct-15 08:56:49

Electrolux2 Sun 25-Oct-15 09:04:14

Why did you have him circumcised?

I'm sure it's upsetting to see him distressed and in pain. But surely that's to be expected? It's a surgical procedure

I don't know whether your sons healing is normal or not. I would ask his dr/nurse

Electrolux2 Sun 25-Oct-15 09:06:51

Tbh. I don't care if I'm going to get flamed here.
I just hope it was done for medical reasons and not any other.

I don't agree with putting a child through this pain and distress for any other reason

RainbowBodyDouble Sun 25-Oct-15 09:10:00

Has he had a bath yet?

RainbowBodyDouble Sun 25-Oct-15 09:11:52

Maybe a fun lukewarm bath with his toys and some antiseptic.
Then try to check his wound as you dry him.

Beeswax2017 Sun 25-Oct-15 09:15:17

NickNacks Sun 25-Oct-15 09:17:47

livin don't feel you have to explain yourself to electrolux , it's absolutely no one else's business what your son's medical history is.

RainbowBodyDouble Sun 25-Oct-15 09:30:45

I was thinking more about what would distract him enough for you to get a bit of a look, I didn't realise a bath was risky.

I can just remember the relief of a bath when I had a massive tear episotomy wound 100 years ago

Electrolux2 Sun 25-Oct-15 09:33:13

Livin.
I wholeheartedly apologise.
Was out of order. I won't even attempt to explain myself

HermioneWeasley Sun 25-Oct-15 09:40:23

My DS was circumcised when he was about 6. I can't remember what they said about bathing, but we had a put an anti biotic cream on it for a week or two. He was in agony immediately after the surgery but was fine the next day.

Sounds like you might need a follow up appointment

dratsea Sun 25-Oct-15 09:52:47

NickNacks The deed is done and Livin has asked for advice about post operative care on behalf of Master Livin. I have previously contributed to threads asking for advice about the necessity of surgery but such advice and opinions have no place on this board.

ShowOfHands Sun 25-Oct-15 09:57:59

My friend's ds had it done at a similar age. He remained pantless for a few days post-op and similar to your ds, really struggled with pleas to put on pants or pj bottoms. They weren't sure if it was psychological or physical and tbh, I'm not sure how they convinced him in the end. It did turn out, however, that he had a post-op infection and touching it was very painful for him. He was given antibiotics and remained pantless for another week at which point he was happy to put on clothes.

NickNacks Sun 25-Oct-15 10:10:47

drataea have you misunderstood my previous post?

Swannykazoo Sun 25-Oct-15 10:17:05

No antiseptic in the bath please! Ow!
I usually look after adults for this sort of thing, and yes it often looks very swollen for a couple of weeks. Any discharge or excess bleeding, yes seek help. We don;t usually advise any antibiotic cream either. It is an area that honestly heals up really well most (99%) of the time so don;t worry if you're not getting to fully inspect. The fact he's well is very reassuring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now