Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 mo old very wheezy; can't cry, struggles to breathe on back

(17 Posts)
Graciescotland Mon 19-Oct-15 11:25:21

We've all had the cold for 3 weeks but last night she was very unsettled, giving out sad cries but not waking up properly and then very wheezy when she woke up, she tried to cry but couldn't and her little face just crumpled. I have gp's appointment this afternoon. I've tried steam, snufflebabe and calpol, sleepinging in sling just now but she just seems so exhausted. Any ideas what it could be/ anything else I can do?

ImperialBlether Mon 19-Oct-15 11:27:34

Please, please take her to A&E right now.

I was watching 24 hours in a GP practice (or whatever it's called) and a woman was in the surgery with asthma and taken to hospital immediately and she could talk properly to the doctor. If your baby can't cry (that's the equivalent of not being able to talk) she needs to be seen straightaway.

Please don't waste time now - it's important she doesn't get too exhausted.

GloGirl Mon 19-Oct-15 11:27:52

If her colour goes a bit funny, or she is really struggling to breathe before your GP appointment go straight to children's A&E or phone for an ambulance.

Check the base of her neck and in the middle of her ribs for a 'dimple' when she's breathing. If it's there it means she's working too hard to breathe and needs to be seen asap.

ImperialBlether Mon 19-Oct-15 11:28:12

DON'T wait for the GP appointment. If you don't believe me re hospital, take her to the doctor's immediately.

Sirzy Mon 19-Oct-15 11:28:28

I would go to a and e now

GloGirl Mon 19-Oct-15 11:28:58

Actually yes I agree with imperial. Better safe than sorry
Go to your nearest children's A&E department or phone 999 if you feel very unhappy with her current breathing.

SoDiana Mon 19-Oct-15 11:29:05

Keep her upright.
She sounds like she has a chest infection maybe.
Glad you're going to gp

SoDiana Mon 19-Oct-15 11:31:15

Actually I didn't want to say it either but since pp have. Go to a and e

magicpuppy Mon 19-Oct-15 11:33:41

I think A&E too. They will never judge you harshly for bringing in a small baby with potential breathing issues.

What's her colour like? Any tinge of blue? Is the skin tugging at the bottom of her throat or between her ribs? If yes to any of these I would call an ambulance.

MakStout Mon 19-Oct-15 11:41:39

A & E immediately. The tiredness may be because she's working so hard to breathe. Little ones can keep their oxygen levels quite good while working really hard, but when they tire and can't keep it up any more, they plummet really quickly. If your baby is struggling to cry then her breathing is laboured enough to be an emergency right now. Don't let it get to the too tired stage. I speak as a mum who had her 11month old blue lighted in at the struggling and wheezing stage, and we spent 3 hours in resus and almost lost him. Please call an ambulance. With a baby, even if there's nothing wrong they would never never be cross with you for calling them.

Graciescotland Mon 19-Oct-15 17:30:45

Sorry just wanted to update I whizzed down to GP and they agree her breathing is laboured but doesn't feel there is anything we can do as no evidence of infection. She's only pulling a little under the ribs when she breathes and her colour is good. If it worsens atall we're to pop back down or go to ooh. I just have my fingers crossed that it gets better and that her twin doesn't come down with it too.

GloGirl Mon 19-Oct-15 17:46:11

I've been worried about you today! Glad they're ok flowers

ImperialBlether Tue 20-Oct-15 12:31:41

I'm so glad she's alright. flowers

SoDiana Tue 20-Oct-15 19:59:35

Aw bless her. Hoping she is feeling better very soon

nocoolnamesleft Tue 20-Oct-15 21:14:25

www.babycentre.co.uk/a1754/bronchiolitis

I'm making a guess over the internet, so may be wrong, but rather suspect this might be the problem (which varies from v mild to rather more serious), and it has a nice little checklist of things to watch out for....

Graciescotland Tue 20-Oct-15 23:48:06

Another update, turned out to be croup following a midnight dash to the hospital as she declined fairly quickly. Oral steroid really helped and we have open access to the ward should we need to return. Bit annoyed at the gp as everyone we spoke to was a bit hmm at her not getting treatment earlier.

<Must learn to listen to mumsnet>

GloGirl Wed 21-Oct-15 08:31:20

Oh poor little thing!! You cant expect more from yourself than speaking to a doctor. And you knew just when to seek further help.

Hope she gets better really soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now